HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Anaheim's Brookhurst to reopen

Author Topic: Anaheim's Brookhurst to reopen
Christopher Crouch

- posted June 29, 2009 07:39 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Surprisingly, someone is reopening Anaheim's Brookhurst Theatre once again. It's scheduled to reopen as "Brookhurst 4 Discount Cinemas" on July 3, 2009. Brookhurst 4 website

When I stopped by this afternoon (6/29), it appeared they were doing some cosmetic remodeling to the lobby and there was some "new" projection equipment being delivered (i.e. an upgrade from what had been on site).

Considering the theatre's condition, age, configuration, and modern track record, I had thought the Brookhurst was heading for the wrecking ball (or at least a gutting for retail). Yet, it's somehow managed to come back from the brink yet again (I think this marks the fourth time the Brookhurst has reopened over the past seventeen years).

|  IP: Logged

Kyle Muldrow

- posted July 08, 2009 01:28 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to this theater a few times while I was living in Cypress. It was a dollar show and I believe Interstate Theaters (now Starplex) operated the place. It wasn't the greatest place to see a movie, but it was a dollar show. The neighborhood (Anaheim/Buena Park) might support a place like this, but I believe it will need some work done to it.

Christopher Crouch

- posted July 09, 2009 04:22 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It wasn't the greatest place to see a movie
That's an understatement [Wink]

Interstate had the lease from 03' to 08', but only kept it open for about two years. While the theatre pulled in respectable business, at that time, it was never enough to warrant keeping the venue open (proved more cost effective to just close and wait out the lease).

The biggest problem with the Brookhurst is that it has reached the point where a major remodel is neeeded (cosmetic and structural), but the venue doesn't have the earning potential to make such an investment worthwhile. Avoiding a major overhaul just leads to the theatre "nickel and diming" you with constant maintenance costs. I'm wondering if the new operator has already run in to some facility issues, as the opening has been put off to a future date.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted July 11, 2009 03:12 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this is going to be an independent discount movie house. But I agree with you completely: all the elements you mentioned (location, age, track record of the theater) will work against it. I don't think this will last very long. Gotta give them credit for trying. Too bad they couldn't try this at the Brea Plaza. That might have worked...

Christopher Crouch

- posted August 25, 2009 04:53 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
After nearly a two month delay, their website has finally announced the new re opening day, friday, 8/28.

[ August 25, 2009, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Christopher Crouch

- posted May 04, 2011 10:24 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
The Brookhurst has been closed once again.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted May 05, 2011 08:44 AM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps for good this time...this doesn't surprise me at all. I don't see that theater ever doing well again.

RIP, Brookhurst...

Chris Utley

- posted May 05, 2011 08:54 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
With the new Premium VOD system that the studios have launched, coupled with the rise of Netflix, Redbox and other low priced VOD systems, is it safe to say that the 2nd run exhibition business is dead?

Todd Erwin

- posted May 05, 2011 11:14 AM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say, no, the 2nd run business is not dead, but evolving. Woodbridge seems to be doing very brisk business, especially since they upgraded to all digital projection and added RealD to 2 of their screens. I also read online that PictureShow up at MainPlace in Santa Ana has also gone all-digital.

quote:
With the new Premium VOD system that the studios have launched, coupled with the rise of Netflix, Redbox and other low priced VOD systems, is it safe to say that the 2nd run exhibition business is dead?

Danny Baldwin

- posted May 05, 2011 08:12 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Smaller DVD windows have certainly contributed to lower 2nd run revenues. But Premium VOD, not a bit, I don't think. The people who would pay $29.99 for a movie on PPV are not the same people who would sit in an older movie theater with $2 admission.

Christopher Crouch

- posted May 06, 2011 03:07 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
The Brookhurst failed again for the same reasons it failed last time (and the last few times before that); high maintenance costs, non "family friendly" center/area, poor ammenities, and a long standing bad reputation (always hard to shake that). Despite the repeated attempts, the theatre really hasn't been a viable business model for at least twenty years. It was a great single screen in the 60's and 70's, but the area changed, the building was neglected for too long, and the conversion to four screens was poorly conceived.

Discount is still alive and well though. The Woodbridge pulled in over a half a million people last year and is on track to do slightly more this year (a freaky number for a theatre it's size). The gross reports show that La Mirada, Charter Center, Mainplace, Norwalk, and even Brea are also doing quite well in the region.

In the big picture, I don't think any of the viewing alternatives will directly lead to sub run's demise. I've found that people continue to show up for a movie even after it's been made available for rent/purchase. There remains the draw of going out and doing something, of sharing the experience with others, for a reasonable price. Ultimately, I think the end would come more from the industry's warped perception of what they think the public wants (i.e. companies will focus on the window issue far more than the public ever will). So, I do believe the end of sub run may be on the horizon, but it's still a long way off.

Discount's future will probably be decided after this current generation of digital projectors has run it's course and there is a need to transition/upgrade again. A lot could happen by then, so who knows?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.