CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Possible New Cinema Complex in Tacoma

Author Topic: Possible New Cinema Complex in Tacoma
William Newman

- posted March 22, 2011 05:14 PM      Profile for William Newman   Email William Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
I read an article from Tacoma Newspaper and mention new 12 plex cinema at Ruston Way.

|  IP: Logged

Edward Havens

- posted March 24, 2011 12:29 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/03/21/1593540/point-ruston-development-to-house.html

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 25, 2011 11:57 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Judging by the comments on the news page it seems nobody wants that to happen.

I do enjoy the justification for it though, that there are no multiplexes in Tacoma city limits because multiplexes closed because of a bad spell. It fails to take into consideration that ther are probably dozens of multiplexes within a 10 mile radius. Though I can't be sure, my Seattle/Tacoma memories are spotty.

Mark Campbell

- posted March 25, 2011 05:44 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
True there are no major multiplexes in Tacoma city proper. However there are a couple on the border.

• On the edge of west Tacoma in University Place is the ex-AMC Narrows 8 run by Galaxy.
• On the edge of South Tacoma is the Regal Lakewood 15 in the city of Lakewood. Lakewood Also has the AMC Loews Town Center 12.
• Tacoma does have a 4 screen non-profit art house near downtown and the 2nd run Blue Mouse single screener in north Tacoma.

Indeed Tacoma is a waste land multiplexes.
The fallen:
• Tacoma West Cinemas 5 (SRO build, became Cineplex Odeo) - eventually knocked out by the Narrows Plaza 8 and Cannibalized by Cineplex's Tacoma Central.
• Tacoma Central 6 - (Cineplex Odeon) - too close to other theaters but mostly knocked out by the Lakewood 15
• GCC Lincoln Plaza 8 - knocked out by the Lakewood 15
• Tacoma Mall Twin - knocked out by the Lakewood 15
• Tacoma South 5 - knocked out by the Lakewood 15

There are some single screens sprinkled around town that are either live venue repurposed as church or live theatre etc.

I work at the Tacoma Mall Twin one summer out of college and wish I could see it again but there stands a Krispey Kreme instead.

Tacoma definitely could support a new multiplex or 2 on the North end (near Ruston) and west end. The South end is overserved by the 2 Lakewood Multiplexes.

Ken Layton

- posted April 04, 2011 03:35 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tacoma area is already overscreened. Too bad the Tacoma Mall Twin was torn down only to be replaced by that horrid Krispy Kreme doughnuts shop.

Mark Campbell

- posted April 04, 2011 03:41 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I have hunted for photos of the Tacoma Mall Twin auditoriums post-split but to no avail. Would love to see again. So many memories.

Jerry Norwood

- posted April 04, 2011 08:27 PM      Profile for Jerry Norwood   Email Jerry Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal Lakewood Stadium 15 is over 10 years old, but is still kept up. It devasted a lot of the multiplexes in the area for sure. No one has built a modern multiplex/megaplex in Tacoma in some time. I would like to see a new 16 to 20 screen theatre in the Tacoma area. A theater near the Tacoma mall area or Fife would be ideal.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.