CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Regency Theatres Acquires Former Mann Theatre (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Regency Theatres Acquires Former Mann Theatre
Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted November 17, 2008 10:51 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
It's simple: Regency doesn't expect as much as Mann did. The same way if Regal handed me one of their lower grossing theatres, I'd be happy with the $80k it made per year, whereas Regal would be grumbling that it doesn't make $3M per year.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted November 17, 2008 10:55 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, in your least sentence you mean Mann, right?

Bill Gabel

- posted November 17, 2008 03:26 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Regency does a good job at buying or leasing old theatres and making them work. Not bad for a family run business, that where former projectionists that bought used equipment at one time. [thumbs up]

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted November 17, 2008 11:17 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I meant Regal as my example. I don't know what else Mann is doing that the money their locations make isn't enough.

Brad Erickson

- posted November 19, 2008 03:00 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Mann opening up a new Multiplex in Thousand Oaks? I thought I read that somewhere. If that is the case, they are probably letting leases run out in the theatres the operate in that area.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Ventura County Star

New T.O. cinema will offer full bar
By Teresa Rochester (Contact)
Saturday, April 14, 2007

Sushi and martinis: coming soon to a theater near you.

The upscale nosh is among the high-end amenities Mann Theatres will offer when its 14-screen movie theater complex opens in fall 2008 at The Oaks shopping center in Thousand Oaks.

Adult patrons willing to pay more will have access to a private entrance leading to a lounge with a full bar, food, and a balcony with leather seats and plenty of space where viewers can see four of the 14 screens. Attendants also will be on hand.

The new complex, to be built as part of The Oaks' expansion and renovation, will be a first for both Ventura County and Mann Theatres the first time the county will have a theater with a full bar, and Mann's first luxury theater. Prices have not been set.

The development illustrates the growing trend of movie theaters positioning themselves as all-encompassing destinations for entertainment seekers.
"It is a total evening out instead of just seeing a movie and going home," said Peter Dobson, chief executive officer of Mann Theatres. "We will be offering the usual fare for the children and the younger teens. The VIP experience is very much for those over 21. We know there is a certain audience that won't go to the movies because kids are running around the auditorium."

In Los Angeles, the ArcLight Cinema has made a name for itself by offering reserved seating for movies, a café bar menu that includes hummus and tapenade dip, and "21+ Screenings" where viewers can sip a cocktail while watching new releases and modern classics like "The Goonies."

Patrick Corcoran, director of media and research and California operations chief for the National Association of Theatre Owners, said an amenity-laden movie experience is something his group is seeing more of, not just in urban centers like Los Angeles but across the country.

"Theater companies are exploring ways to attract customers interested in a different kind of moviegoing experience," he said.

More entertainment options were one thing residents told the Oaks owner Macerich Co. that they wanted as part of the expansion. Senior property manager Julie Ladd said Mann's plans were a perfect fit with the sophisticated, casual feel the company is aiming for in the renovation.

The mall's location, along the Highway 101 corridor, and the area's demographics make it a desirable location for such a theater, which will likely draw a regional audience, Dobson said.

Vie Caswell likes the idea of martinis and attendants while seeing a movie. The Thousand Oaks resident can't remember the last movie she saw in a theater.

"I would get a martini and some snacks to see a movie," she said. "I think Thousand Oaks is ready to do something different. It's kind of stagnant."

Diane Johnson of Simi Valley, however, doesn't think sushi and a cocktail would lure her to the theater.

"I don't go to the shows that often," she said. "I go to plays. They're better than the shows. I'd rather watch them on DVD."

Tania Figueroa of Encino said she would travel for the VIP treatment on occasion. Her friends, Amber Daugherty of Newbury Park and Lyda Caceres of Granada Hills, agreed it would be fun.

"It probably wouldn't be something I'd do every time," Figueroa said. "I'd probably make it a night out."

Daugherty said parking is difficult at the ArcLight cinema, and having something local would be a plus. "People would be all over it," she said.

Mark Campbell

- posted November 19, 2008 03:48 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Mann drop out of that and another chain take over the property? That will hurt Mann's Theatre in Thousand Oaks...

Jeff Arellano

- posted November 19, 2008 10:15 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Mann did drop out of it.

It is to become the west coast's first Muvico.

Brad Erickson

- posted November 24, 2008 08:41 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I think Mann is slowly closing shop and is not renewing any leases.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted November 24, 2008 10:59 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Then why did they take over Beverly Center?

Mark Campbell

- posted November 24, 2008 12:03 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they are just handling the bookings or have some arrangement with the Beverly Center just so they can keep the cinema open, although I have never seen more than 10 people in the entire place.

Brad Erickson

- posted November 24, 2008 04:09 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Mann is just going through the motions with the Beverly Center, they seem to be booking it and that is all.

Mark Campbell

- posted November 24, 2008 04:16 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I just wish somebody acquire Mann and get it over with, rather than watch its depressing long slow death. Let Pacific or AMC get the good theatres and Regency take over the underperforming ones. Anything to get better bookings at the Chinese!

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted November 24, 2008 04:38 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
I Know.right? I mean "Role Models" is the best they could do?

Sad. [Frown]

Mark Campbell

- posted November 24, 2008 04:45 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Arclight would probably have taken Role Models if they had known it was going to open as big as it did. Even Mann must have not had much faith it because they opened it in the Chinese 6 but moved it to Graumans after Soul Men tanked on opening week.

Brad Erickson

- posted November 24, 2008 04:55 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Mann does not have the clout any longer. The theatres they operate in Westwood and Hollywood are the greatest theatres in L.A., but unfortunately they cannot compete with the oversaturation of theatres surrounding them. The Chinese is a Landmark but mostly to tourists. I know many people who cannot stand going to the Chinese only because it is too congested. They love the theatre but feel its too much a headache. I pretty much walk to it from my apartment and it does not bother me. But to most it is easier to go to the Arclight, Grove, AMC Century 15 etc.

Soon, I fear we will have the pain of losing the Village and Bruin. Mann is not renewing those leases and even though the structures are Landmarks, in this economy no chain will want to sign a lease to run them as they are.

Westwood does not look to be on a mend, parking is still awful; it is depressing to walk around these days because most of the store fronts are empty, there is no shopping district. It is mostly UCLA, some movie theatres, and many restuarants. It is sad. I hope there is still a chance for them, but I am not optomistic.

In my opinion, I really do think Mann is closing shop. They are letting leases lapse, they are not making big strides in upgrades or new multiplexes.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.