CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » I Visited The New Signature Theatres Stadium 14 in Kalispell Montana! (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I Visited The New Signature Theatres Stadium 14 in Kalispell Montana!
Dan Roben

- posted September 26, 2007 09:14 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
The Lincoln Plaza Cinema is one of the few theaters where I don't really mind the top-down masking, at least in screens 12-16 where the screen sizes are so huge that "diminished" scope is still damn impressive.

I don't know if Phillip Harris had any discussions with Regal regarding using the Signature brand, but Regal saw the writing on the wall even before the Lincoln Plaza opened and bailed out of the Bellevue Galleria 11, located two blocks south of LS, months before LS opened. Hallet Cinemas took over the Galleria and basically operates it as a move-over house with first-run pricing.

Lincoln Square is booked very well, with a nice mix of blockbuster and independent/foreign product. The city of Bellevue is very upscale (Bill Gates lives about 2 miles away) and the Lincoln Square Cinemas fit nicely into that profile.

|  IP: Logged

Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted September 26, 2007 10:38 PM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Cinemas really trashed the look of Signature Theatres or at least here in Stockton. Regal has yet to update the old Holiday Cinemas 8 with Stadium seating. signature was planning it beforeselling it to regal. Are there any other Regal acquired Signature Theatres still with the old fashioned sloped seating?

David Au

- posted September 27, 2007 02:25 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there are several former Signature Theatres with sloped seating. Holiday Cinemas 6 in Davis still has sloped seating. However, this theater has large screens (most with side masking) and an amazing surround sound system. Davis is a college town, so the theater is very busy and there are lots of customers. Even though there is no stadium seating, the movie experience is still very nice. Signature Theatres installed high quality sound systems.

Santa Cruz Cinema 9 does not have stadium seating, but it is a nice retro Art Deco theater and it is also in a college town. There is no shortage of customers to that theater. It is a newer theater that was made to look like an old fashioned art deco theater.

If the floor of the theater is sloped enough, it is almost just like stadium seating. If the seats are staggered, you won't be looking at the back of a person's head.

Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted September 28, 2007 10:26 AM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
According to Regal Cinemaswebsite, the HOLIDAY CINEMA 8 in Stockton, has Stadium Seating. I wonder when did this happen? It was no mention of it in the newspaper, and to my knowledge, they didn't close its doors to remodel. They must have remodeled each auditorium one at a time? I haven't been here in a year, so I will have to check to see if it is true.

David Au

- posted September 28, 2007 12:56 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Fandango is often wrong about whether or not a theater has stadium seating. If the theater has been upgraded to stadium seating, Regal usually adds Stadium to the name of the theater.

It is best to call the theater and confirm, or you might be in for a disappointment.

Fandango also says that Regal Santa Cruz Cinema 9 has stadium seating, but it does not have stadium seating.

Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted September 28, 2007 01:33 PM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David, That's what I thought. Regal would have listed it as REGAL HOLIDAY STADIUM 8.

Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted October 01, 2007 07:56 PM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
Well David, you were right. I went to see MR. WOODCOCK at the Holiday and they are still sloped seating. However no problem seeing the movie as I was the only one in the auditorium. Since the City Centre Stadium 16 opened up, business has gone downhill. Most everyone prefers Stadium Seating. The person at the concession stand told me that on most weekends, they are lucky to do 300 people total in business. The only positive thing that the HOLIDAY CINEMA 8 offers that the CITY CENTRE STADIUM 16 doesn't is that ALL AUDITORIUMS ARE THX CERTIFIED!

David Au

- posted October 01, 2007 08:54 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Many former Signature Theatres used to be THX certified. Even the ones that weren't certified, still had really good sound systems.

Regal doesn't pay for THX anymore (except for the Regal Dole Cannery). So the theater probably is up to THX standards still but isn't officially certified by Lucasfilm.

Did they play the THX trailer or have a THX plaque on the wall? Technically, they have to remove those since they aren't paying for THX anymore.

Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted October 02, 2007 09:04 PM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
The THX plaque was still on the wall but there was no THX trailer. In fact, The Holiday Cinema 8 hasn't played the THX trailer since 2002 when Signature still had control. The sound still sounded great in the Holiday Auditorium compared to the newer City Centre Stadium 16.

Daniel Fuentz

- posted October 03, 2007 07:05 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of those older Signature locations dated back to Festival and were acquired when Signature bought out Mann about 10 years ago. They closed all the ones in Fresno as soon as they took over, but I seem to recall some in Northern California that remained open until very recently.

David Au

- posted October 03, 2007 01:47 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up going to the original Festival Cinemas in Walnut Creek. I had some friends who worked there. At first, I didn't know that there were so many other Festival Cinemas.

Festival Cinemas was an ok theater. The screens were bigger than the shoebox multiplexes of today. The sound system was crisp and thunderous, although it was a little too loud from time to time. The seating was sloped, but it was comfortable. The seats could lean back so far that it was like lying down in a bed. One of the best movie experiences I ever had was sitting in the front row of the theater and watching Twister. It felt like you were actually experiencing a huge twister all around you. This theater always sold out. Everyone in town would go here. I would show up at the theater and randomly see friends and we'd end up sitting together. Every seat was packed on a Saturday night and yet everyone had a good time. Mann controlled it for a few years and then Regal took over and closed it. Leaving the city without a cinema for a time.

[ October 03, 2007, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: David Au ]

Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted October 06, 2007 09:57 PM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
The history of Festival Cinemas is very interesting. The original owners were FESTIVAL ENTERPRISES and were originally based in Walnut Creek. In Stockton, Festival Cinemas 4 opened in 1974 and another 4-Plex opened in 1979 (Regency Cinemas). I believe the Festival Enterprises chain had cinemas not only in Stockton, Walnut Creek and Fresno but also in Martinez,Concord, San Ramon, Modesto and in Visalia. I'm sure there were more. MANN THEATRES bought out FESTIVAL ENTERPRISES sometime in the mid 1980's. I think MANN THEATRES was bought out in the 1990's by a CINEMERICA? When MANN went bankrupt in 2000, they sold some of the formerly owned FESTIVAL ENTERPRISES Cinemas to SIGNATURE THEATRES. SIGNATURE closed the Fresno ones and consolidated them into the new MANCHESTER 16, converted a former FESTIVAL CINEMAS in Modesto into a SIGNATURE MODESTO STADIUM 10 and I do know, they continued to operate both the Festival and Regency in Stockton until closing them in 2003 and 2002 respectively. I think both the Walnut Creek and Concord Festival Cinemas were closed before the SIGNATURE deal. I believe SIGNATURE sold the Martinez cinemas to someone else soon afterwards. And the Crow Canyon Festival Cinemas in San Ramon were also converted to Stadium Seating.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted October 07, 2007 02:35 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Festival also built the Festival 10 in Arroyo Grande which has also been modernized while under management by Signature.

There was also the Festival 4 Larkspur Landing which Century bought directly from Mann, and the Festival 9 in Hayward. CA. If memory serves, when Signature took control of all the Mann/Fesitvals, they let the Hayward and Martinez locations revert back to Mann after a certain time, which then Mann made the decision to close both locations. I saw a movie at Martinez awhile back, it's amazing how they fit 8 screens into that 5-plex.

It was my understanding that Festival started the build, or built in conjunction with, Pacific Theatres for the Regency 6 in San Rafael , CA as it is almost identical in layout to the Crow Canyon 6 . When Century modernized the Regency, they left the wood sound panelling in place and covered the upper portion with curtains to make it appear more like a standard Century build. It remains one of my more favorite places to see a movie.

Larkspur Landing is ok, but all of the tacky Festivalness was removed completely during it's renovation, which saddens me.

What I enjoyed most about Festival builds was that they had all the auditorium doors on the back wall with hallways and tunnels snaking to reach the actual auditorium. I thought that was a trip at the Larkspur Landing 4, but then when I saw the Fesitval 9 Hayward , it blew me away.

And who could forget the tacky poster frames? Cinemark seems to have followed their tradition by installing similar frames at all of their newer locations.

Floyd E. Perry, Jr.

- posted October 07, 2007 03:58 PM      Profile for Floyd E. Perry, Jr.   Email Floyd E. Perry, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
I found my notes on the Festival Cinemas when I did research on them last year. Festival Cinemas opened in Stockton on November 13, 1974. It was then known as FESTIVAL CINEMA CENTER. According to the article, back in 1974, Festival Enterprises was based out of Walnut Creek and had 3 cineplex's in Walnut Creek, Concord and Hayward. The Stockton Festival cost $900,000. Total Seating was 1,460. The breakdown between auditoriums were 500-460-250-250. There was parking for 265 cars.Festival Cinemas closed its doors on December 18, 2003. It was torn down the following year and replaced by a CHUCK-E-CHEESE RESTAURANT.

Daniel Fuentz

- posted October 08, 2007 07:08 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that was a unique Festival design. They even retrofitted the Fig Garden in Fresno with a similar design when they added 2 auditoriums onto the back of the theater to make it a 4-plex.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.