CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » RKO Stanley Warner Theatres (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: RKO Stanley Warner Theatres
William Hooper

- posted June 02, 2005 12:14 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Email William Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
There's an excellent example of a Stanley on Journal Square in Jersey City, NJ. The Jehovah's Witnesses operate it now as an assembly hall, but they've taken excellent care of it. An addition was made to the building to add some modern spaces, & if you didn't know, it would seem to be part of the original building.

The auditorium has been completely carpeted, new mix position & other A/V stuff installed at the back of the house, but the only really jarring note is (if I'm remembering correctly) all the auditorium bulbs were replaced with fluorescent-type long-life bulbs which have a sort of mausoleum-like light. Other than that, very nice; they're proud of it & take care of it. They had one of their shops restore all the original seating, etc. The Stanley marquee is still up, & it looks great.

Pictures halfway down the page at
http://www.bethel-tours.com/Pictures.html

I'd like to know the chronology of the RKO-Stanley alliance. Stanley was named in the antitrust suit against Paramount/Famous Players, as an entity conspiring with Paramount/FP, so it would seem that at one point Stanley was hooked up somehow with Paramount/FP.

http://www.cinemaweb.com/silentfilm/bookshelf/9_ftc_3.htm

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel

- posted June 02, 2005 12:41 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The Stanley Warner Management Corporation was formerly called Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corporation. The present name was adopted after Simon H. Fabian and Samuel Rosen of Fabian interests acquired control of the Warner Theatres from Warner Brothers as a result of the consent decree order. In 1945 the Warner Bros. circuit operated 465 screens in 17 states and the District of Columbia. By 1961 they were still running in 17 states and the District of Columbia but on much lesser screens. Around this time they also had a subsidiary called the Stanley Warner Cinerama Corporation.
In the Los Angeles market the Warner Theatres were:
  • Beverly Hills Beverly Hills
    Huntington Park Huntington Park
    Los Angeles Downtown
    Hollywood
    Wiltern
    Forum
    San Pedro San Pedro
Pacific Theatres bought the Stanley Warner Southern California holdings in 1968. I worked for Pacific Theatres when they still ran the Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Huntington Park and the Wiltern.

George Gates

- posted June 02, 2005 01:23 PM      Profile for George Gates           Edit/Delete Post 
Where might one find a complete list of their theatres from the early 1960's?
For that matter, where does one find lists by circuit and state? Are there any online databases?

Bill Gabel

- posted June 02, 2005 03:04 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
You can find that info in the Film Daily Yearbook and in the International Motion Picture Almanac of that year. For online service you can get from Cinema Treasures. But info about chains in very incomplete, I've been working on a better list of the major chains for that site.

Dave Felthous

- posted June 05, 2005 11:19 AM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
The Pantages/Warners/Wornors Theater in Fresno, CA, was a Stanley Warner theater. The full name, used in some newspaper ads, was Stanley Warner Fresno.

Jim Rankin
(Jim passed away in December 2006)

- posted June 06, 2005 12:38 AM      Profile for Jim Rankin   Email Jim Rankin         Edit/Delete Post 
There were several Stanley-Warner theatres here in Milwaukee, with the former WARNER being one of the last standing, but not open since 1995; it is now called the GRAND and has had its dividing floor from 1973 removed so it is again something like architects Rapp&Rapp intended: an Art Deco and Louis XIV showstopper. I will upload some photos of it to the Newsroom in the hopes that Adam has some time to add them so that all can know of the artistry of this firm in one of their last palaces commissioned before Wall St. "laid an egg."

Daniel Fuentz

- posted June 07, 2005 10:38 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Pantages/Warners/Wornors Theater in Fresno, CA, was a Stanley Warner theater.
Right. When it was sold to whomever owns it now, they had to change the name from "Warners", which is why the marquee says "WARNORS" today! (I wonder whatever happened to that "E"?)

Bill Gabel

- posted June 08, 2005 07:17 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years many theatres have changed hands. On Warner Bros. Theatres over the years in the California market. Common changes were WARNERS, WARNER . Like with the Fresno the change was Warnors. The Warners Downtown Theatre (former Pantages house) in the 70's before closing was known as the WARREN , when Metropolitan Theatres took over operation from the Stanley Warner chain in 1969.
The old PIX Theatre in Hollywood formerly the Music Box, Guild, Fox and now the Henry Fonda Music Box Theatre. But when Fox West Coast Theatres changed the name of the theatre from the Guild to the FOX, it had this great neon marquee that is still there for the most part. The theatre changed its name again to the PIX, in old pictures you could see the easy change in neon signing of the marquee.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 08, 2005 03:31 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus dont forget the old Warners Hollywood. When Pacific took over operation, they changed the W A R N E R S on the twoer to P A C I F I C but kept the Warners under it, where you can still see it today.

Dave Felthous

- posted June 08, 2005 03:50 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
The conversion of the sign from Fox to Pix was handled pretty clumsily, I thought. They sorta reconfigured the F into a P but it was not a graceful P. Several years ago I was at the Museum of Neon Art in LA and someone had just unearthed some of the Pix letters in a backyard. The museum didn't know their origin, and, as it happened, I was able to fill them in.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.

- posted July 25, 2005 09:54 PM      Profile for Michael R. Rambo Jr.   Email Michael R. Rambo Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Stanley Warner Management Corporation was formerly called Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corporation. The present name was adopted after Simon H. Fabian and Samuel Rosen of Fabian interests acquired control of the Warner Theatres from Warner Brothers as a result of the consent decree order. In 1945 the Warner Bros. circuit operated 465 screens in 17 states and the District of Columbia. By 1961 they were still running in 17 states and the District of Columbia but on much lesser screens. Around this time they also had a subsidiary called the Stanley Warner Cinerama Corporation.
In the Los Angeles market the Warner Theatres were:

Beverly Hills Beverly Hills
Huntington Park Huntington Park
Los Angeles Downtown
Hollywood
Wiltern
Forum
San Pedro San Pedro

Pacific Theatres bought the Stanley Warner Southern California holdings in 1968. I worked for Pacific Theatres when they still ran the Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Huntington Park and the Wiltern.

the information that I gotten from Cinema Treasures is that Pacific Theatres acquired the Stanley Warner Theatres chain in 1961, and later, converted the S. California theatres to the Pacific name, and adding the RKO theatres to the Stanley Warner eastern holding, thus you have RKO Stanley Warner.

Almi-Century Theatres bought RKO Stanley Warner from Pacific Theatres in 1981, thus becoming RKO Century Warner Theatres Co. RKO Century Warner acquired Cinema 5 Theatres (the former Rugoff Theatres chain) from Pacific Theatres in 1985, and in 1986 RKO Century Warner was bought out by Cineplex Odeon.

RKO Century Warner's last theatres in the Philadelphia area were either closed, or bought by Sam Shapiro's Sameric Theatres, or Doylestown PA based Budco Theatres Co., with the exception of RKO Stanley Warner's Midway Theatre, which was owned by Sam Shapiro, but leased to RKO Stanley Warner. This theatre closed in 1977. [Cool]

Daniel Fuentz

- posted July 31, 2005 12:25 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
While walking past the Warnors the other day I took a close up photo of the "O". You can tell on close up examination where they made an "O" out of the "E".

George Gates

- posted August 01, 2005 01:02 PM      Profile for George Gates           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting anxiously for you to upload the photo for all of us readers to see. I can't imagine an "E" would look good turned into an "O".

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted August 01, 2005 01:22 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
While they're not especially close-up photos, there are some photos on this page.

Ron Newman

- posted August 01, 2005 03:18 PM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Now why did they have to change the name? Lots of Paramount and Fox theatres were sold to other chains without having to change their names.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.