HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Letter "Y"

Author Topic: Letter "Y"
Kyle Fee

- posted July 03, 2004 12:32 PM      Profile for Kyle Fee   Email Kyle Fee         Edit/Delete Post 
On one of the terra cotta panels on the Washington Theater in Quincy, IL there appears to be a letter "Y" worked into the design. In an old picture of it's marquee, I could kind of make out a "Y" design on it as well. The "Y" didn't seem to be connected to the names of the owners or architects. Then while at the Theatre Museum in Elmhurst, IL I saw a display on terra showing panels with a very similar "Y" design. Apparently there's no connection to the the manufacturer's name either. (The picture of the Washington shows an eagle design at the top of the "Y".)  -
Does anyone know if there's any significance to the letter "Y" appearing in theatre ornamentation? My initial thought was that the "Y" was some Greek symbol like the masks of comedy and tragedy. Looking on the internet it did seem like "upsilon", the Greek letter "Y", did appear in a lot of the names of theatre fraternities, but nothing definitive. Any thoughts?

[ July 04, 2004, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Kyle Fee ]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.