CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » AMC 30 at the Block in Orange gets IMAX

Author Topic: AMC 30 at the Block in Orange gets IMAX
David Imboden

- posted August 07, 2010 11:04 AM      Profile for David Imboden   Email David Imboden         Edit/Delete Post 
From OC Register... Might make it harder for UltraStar to get IMAX back at CinemaFusion when it takes over since its only 5 miles away.

--------------------

ORANGE – It didn't take long for North Orange County to get a new IMAX theater – and this time it will reside at the AMC 30 at The Block at Orange.

When it opens on Aug. 13, the new IMAX will take the place of the recently shuttered IMAX at CinemaFusion Theatre at Anaheim Gardenwalk (which continues to operate traditional screens) as the only IMAX theater in the northern part of the county.

It will become the county's third IMAX – after the one at the Irvine Spectrum and another at the Edwards Aliso Viejo Stadium 20.

"We're really excited about it getting it here," said Blake Windal, the general manager of The Block. "People come to the AMC 30 to see blockbuster movies, and this will enhance their experience."

Jackson Meyers, an IMAX spokesman, said one of the theaters at the movie complex was retrofitted from standard equipment to an IMAX format.

"We remove the first few rows and the old screen," Meyers said. "The new screen is slightly curved and positioned closer to the audience."

Meyers said the IMAX Corp. is in the midst of installing more than 100 IMAX theaters in AMC movie houses throughout the nation.

"In that design, we have two modified projection systems together with an image-enhancement sound system and customized screen geometry," Meyers said. "We designed this to make the IMAX experience accessible to more people."

Worldwide, there are currently more than 440 IMAX theaters.
Contact the writer: 714-900-3704 or efields@ocregister.com

---------------

Link: http://www.ocregister.com/news/imax-259904-meyers-county.html

|  IP: Logged

Danny Baldwin

- posted August 07, 2010 12:12 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised it took this long for the place to get a LieMAX with the four "Colossus" auditoriums. AMC Palm Promenade in San Diego has a similar setup and they got theirs over a year ago.

It isn't really competition for GardenWalk because that's a real 1570 IMAX. Apples to oranges.

Jeff Arellano

- posted August 07, 2010 02:40 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised it took that long to get it at the Block. I can't even think of another theater in Northern OC that could get a LIeMAX screen (maybe Brea Edwards or Downtown Disney AMC).

Eric Gieszl

- posted August 09, 2010 01:30 AM      Profile for Eric Gieszl           Edit/Delete Post 
CinemaFusion does not have a 15/70 IMAX anymore. I believe the equipment has been removed. It was still a fake IMAX since it was a regular auditorium retrofit. It may have had 15/70 projection, but anything shot in true IMAX had to be cropped to fit the small screen. Irvine Spectrum is the only real IMAX in Orange County.

Danny Baldwin

- posted August 09, 2010 07:09 AM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh really? My mistake. I've never been there -- just went by this list, which clearly needs updating.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.