HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Mystery Cinemas   » San Francisco Liberty Theatre

Author Topic: San Francisco Liberty Theatre
William French, Jr.

- posted June 29, 2009 03:18 PM      Profile for William French, Jr.   Email William French, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are two photos of a theatre called the Liberty in San Francisco. These are from the time Adelie Stephenson was running for President.

They are not the ones already listed on the site. I can't see any recognizable buildings in these photos so I am at a loss. Obviously they are from the downtown area because of the size of the buildings.

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 29, 2009 06:17 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a movie theatre on the right side of the picture. It looks like it says GRANADA. Could this be Market Street?

William French, Jr.

- posted June 30, 2009 09:12 AM      Profile for William French, Jr.   Email William French, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish it were that simple. None of those buildings were on Market. The one with the columns is very specific in design. And you can't see the Ferry Building at the end of the street. I'm going to take a walk downtown today and see if I can find one of the high rises.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 30, 2009 05:43 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can see the Ferry Building from one end of Market to the other, you have better eyes that I do, especially if you're facing south! [Smile]

ADLAI STEVENSON (correct spelling) ran against (and lost to) Eisenhower in 1952 and 1956, then he lost the democratic nomination to Kennedy in 1960 and campaigned for him.

Stevenson gave a speech in support of Kennedy at the San Francisco Fox on September 27, 1960, a good 1.5 miles from the Ferry Building. However, these photos appear to be earlier with the "I Like Ike" posters in the crowd.

What is the source of the photos?

William French, Jr.

- posted June 30, 2009 06:45 PM      Profile for William French, Jr.   Email William French, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
I've solved it. The photos are from the Life Magazine collection and are mislabeled. These photos are from Spokane, Washington. I had to look at thousands of photos today and was in the wrong city.

The Granada is listed as #33117

The Liberty is listed as #33118

The Liberty seems to be the only one standing. Only a few of the buildings in the photo are still there. It looks like there was a massive redevelopment project within the past few decades (most of the current buildings are quite ugly compared to what was once there).

I checked Google Maps once I got an idea of where it could be.

Ron Keillor

- posted June 30, 2009 10:08 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor         Edit/Delete Post 
The theatre on the right is probably the Colonial. The Granada was in West Seattle.

William French, Jr.

- posted July 01, 2009 07:35 AM      Profile for William French, Jr.   Email William French, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
It is clearly the Granada:

-

And the listing on this site gives the address as being across the street from the Liberty.

And this search really was a pain in the butt. I even had to deal with a guy at the SF Library history center who had no clue what I was trying to do even though I was very clear.

I did learn that legally we can post photos online for research (like Mystery Theaters). And they can be posted if users have to click on a link to them to see them. The copyright takes over when the photos are automatically pop up on a page (like the rotating photos on the homepage). Doing research for other project and boy is it confusing. And it makes absolutely no sense.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.