CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Mystery Cinemas   » Former theater in Pembroke, ON, Canada

Author Topic: Former theater in Pembroke, ON, Canada
Roloff de Jeu

- posted October 11, 2007 06:25 AM      Profile for Roloff de Jeu   Author's Homepage   Email Roloff de Jeu         Edit/Delete Post 
I photographed this former theater in 2001, in the town of Pembroke (I think!) and the owner of the Pawn Shop next door confirmed it was in deed at some point a cinema. Now what was it's name? Any specs to share? It must have been quite pretty during it's haydays, and looks like it was built in the early twenties or even late tens!
See the photo I recently scanned here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pulp-o-rama/996452415/in/set-72157594343161371/

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted October 11, 2007 06:45 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Bill Gabel

- posted October 12, 2007 05:01 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
It could be the Centre Theatre (506 seats) or the O'Brien's ? (750 seats). That mid 40's listing for that town.

Bob Allen

- posted October 19, 2007 11:50 AM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Roloff:

If it was built as early as you think it underwent an upgrade judging from the doors and the readerboards on the marquee. Readerboards in that era did not have white plastic backgrounds for the letters but used black metal squares with white letters cut into them. Whenever I see something like this I wish I had the funds to restore and re-open it.

Roloff de Jeu

- posted October 20, 2007 07:34 AM      Profile for Roloff de Jeu   Author's Homepage   Email Roloff de Jeu         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your detailed look or investigation, Bob. It's the bricks that make me think it's from the Twenties, thinking of other cinemas from that era. But of course I could be wrong, bricks have been used ever since. The marquee is definitely of a later make, and those doors look like they were put in only a decade or two ago.

So what did the Centre Theatre and O'Brien's look like?

Roger Katz

- posted September 16, 2009 06:39 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
This was NOT the O'Brien's - I found a photo of that and there is no resemblance.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.