HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Mystery Cinemas   » Jennings, Mo. River Roads Mall

Author Topic: Jennings, Mo. River Roads Mall
Daniel Fuentz

- posted June 21, 2005 12:09 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this picture taken in this abandoned mall with a space in it for something called "Regal". Is this an old Regal Cinema or something else?? Did this mall even have a cinema?

-

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted June 21, 2005 03:41 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
River Roads Mall in Jennings (St. Louis County, MO) is a pitiful sight to see. It's a long abandoned, nearly dilapidated (sp?) mall that's screaming for a wrecking ball! Mercifully, there was never a movie theatre in this mall.

FYI: Regal Cinemas didn't move into the St. Louis area until 2004 with their St. Louis Mills complex.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 21, 2005 08:38 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel... you've been looking at Deadmalls.com again haven't you?

I saw that picture somewhere too, it belongs to a shoe store. Funny how a shoe store kinda has a mall-theatre look to it... as if that could have been a box office right there or something. [Wink]

Daniel Fuentz

- posted June 21, 2005 11:24 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
ROFL... No, I found that picture at a different site! I kind of suspected it was somthing other than a theater, but like you say it had that tacky 70's mall theater look to it so I thought I would ask. [Smile] I just find it amazing how things like that can sit abandoned for so long... Plus stuff like that is cool to wander through. [Big Grin]

Kyle Muldrow

- posted June 21, 2005 11:48 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, what's wrong with Deadmalls.com? I've checked that site out myself. It's cool!

Anyway, I'm backing up Chris Utley's comments. There was never a movie theater in River Roads Mall. I remember going to that mall as a small child because my parents got an apartment in Jennings just after they were married. Sadly, Chris is also right about the current condition of the mall. It's really sad. I remember it as a neat little place.

The other major shopping center in Jennings, Northland Shopping Center, did have a movie theater (GCC ran it), but it was torn down back in 2002. Northland is currently being demolished for a new shopping center. It suffered close to the same fate as River Roads Mall, although it was never totally abandoned. Out of curiosity, I drove around Northland while back in St. Louis last Christmas. Very depressing. So many empty stores, the big Famous Barr building all boarded up, potholes in the parking lot, broken signs...it used to be a rather cool place to go.

Memories from my younger days...

[ June 22, 2005, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Kyle Muldrow ]

Daniel Fuentz

- posted June 22, 2005 10:03 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing at all wrong with deadmalls.com! I never said *I* don't look at it, lol!

The page I got that photo from had a lot of River Roads pics on it, apparently they did not have a theater but DID have a bowling alley. (The site had no pics of that, though... darn!)

I came across another page that had lots of demolition photos of Northland. I would've snagged one of those big aluminum star things to save. [Big Grin] (My nephew got one of the construction crew to snag him a letter "K" from a Gottschalk's that was being torn down, so it could ahve gone with that.)

Kyle Muldrow

- posted June 23, 2005 06:59 AM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see someone else likes DeadMalls.com, Daniel!

I don't remember the name of the site with lots of pics of River Roads, but I believe there's a link to it on Deadmalls.com. I've looked at that site too. I was more familiar with the big green Stix, Baer, & Fuller building (that was a department store) on the property. Not as familiar with the interior, but they did have a bowling alley there. By the way, Daniel, I don't think you'd be allowed to walk through there and, even if you were, I wouldn't do it. Too dangerous.

I'm willing to guess the site with the Northland demolition pics was this one: Built St. Louis, a site I visit very frequently. If it's not, check it out anyway. Great photos of the Fox Theater in the Midtown section. I also would have grabbed one of those stainless steel "starbursts" if I could. Northland was known for those things since the day it opened. It's just a neat little memory that, sadly, is no more.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 23, 2005 09:47 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I love deadmalls.com too. I actually have some pictures to contribute when I get around to it. They have me being a total cinema-dork and dead-mall-junkie. [Razz]

Daniel Fuentz

- posted June 23, 2005 01:59 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent in some pictures of Manchester Center to Deadmalls, but they haven't posted them yet. Manchester Center is a 2 level mall here in Fresno that could hold 150-200 stores, but only has about 50. The entire second level, along with the old Liberty House/Home Express anchor space is all office space, and some of the lower level has been converted to offices as well. They tried attracting new retail, but it didn't work out so they just gave up and turned it into offices.

About River Roads, I doubt I would go through the place, even if I had a chance. I'd be too afraid of coming across some crazy person inside, so *if* I were to venture into something like that I would have to have a large group of people with me! I tend to get creeped out very easily at things like that, lol!

Norman Plant

- posted June 23, 2005 05:01 PM      Profile for Norman Plant   Email Norman Plant         Edit/Delete Post 
River Roads was creepy to walk through when it was somewhat inhabited. I went there only because my family wanted to go to the Penney's outlet store that was there at the time. The Lewis & Clark and the North Drive-In were nearby theaters that served this area.

Andrew Reed

- posted July 14, 2005 05:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Reed   Email Andrew Reed         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you'd have to walk thru River Roads to find a crazy person. Let's just say Jennings isn't the thriving post-war community it once was. Sad though, I fondly remember going to the Penny's and Woolworth's at River Roads occasionaly. But there was definitely no cinema there.

Northland is also sad. I remember going to the Famous-Barr there frequently to have lunch (can't beat Famous Onion Soup, now that they rebuilt West County, the downtown store is the only place to get it). Of course, there will be no Famous-Barr stores at all soon, when they all convert to Macy's. Remember bowling and seeing a movie there once in a while too (I'm 18, so by the time I was old enough to remember it, it was probably Wehrenberg). I lived in North County (Ferguson) for a short while when I was very young, if you can't tell yet.

Chris Utley

- posted July 15, 2005 10:01 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Northland was a General Cinema theatre until they pulled out of St. Louis. Then it was independently owned until it finally shut down.

FYI...i'm a St. Louis native. That's why I know so much [Smile]

To piggyback on what Norman said earlier, the North Twin, was the last drive-in in the St. Louis City/County limits. Now the closest one is in Bellville, IL.

Andrew Reed

- posted July 15, 2005 09:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Reed   Email Andrew Reed         Edit/Delete Post 
Must've been Cross Keys or Village Square that I remember, then.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted July 17, 2005 09:40 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Andrew, you were right the first time. It is Northland you remember. Village Square and Cross Keys didn't (don't?) have a Famous-Barr.

I'm a St. Louis native too...St. Charles, to be exact, but graduated from UMSL and went to church in Ferguson for several years, so I know a little about North County.

Danny Plattner

- posted October 15, 2005 11:02 AM      Profile for Danny Plattner   Email Danny Plattner         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the commentary on River Roads Mall. My family owned and operated Plattners Modern Man for 20 years in River Roads. I have fond memories of River Roads, if you have additional information about the mall or online photos please let me know.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.