CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Mystery Cinemas   » LOREX Somewhere in Texas MYSTERY SOLVED

Author Topic: LOREX Somewhere in Texas MYSTERY SOLVED
Don Lewis

- posted February 13, 2005 07:53 PM      Profile for Don Lewis   Email Don Lewis         Edit/Delete Post 
I photographed the LOREX in the early 1980s, somewhere in Texas.
I have been unable to find out anything about it, even the town where it is or (was?) located.

Thanks...........  -

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel

- posted February 15, 2005 10:34 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
There was a theatre in Loraine, Texas that was named Lorex during the mid 50's. There looks like that little city only had one theatre at a time. So that theatre might have been once called the Best, which goes back to the early 30's. And later called the Hub Theatre during the 40's.

Ken Roe

- posted February 15, 2005 02:57 PM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
The Film Daily Yearbook, 1950 has a Lorex Theatre in Loraine. Seating listed as 504 (population 700!).

Further back in time in the F.D.Y, 1943 the town has the Hub Theatre, 250 seats (closed) and the Lore Theatre 327 seats.

Bill Gabel

- posted February 15, 2005 06:52 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
F.D.Y. 1932 has the Best Theatre listed with 300 and something as the capacity.

Ken Roe

- posted February 16, 2005 10:30 AM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
How about this theory: The Best, became the Lore, became the Lorex (although that seating capacity given in 1950 is a couple of hundred over and could be a mistake/misprint).

The smaller Hub obviously didn't last too long.

Don;
You posed the mystery. Is Loraine the correct town? have you ever been there before?

Bill Gabel

- posted February 16, 2005 01:53 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Ken

That sounds like a good theory. With a city that small, it would be hard to support two theatres. During those times many small towns only had one theatre on their Main Street.

I guess it must be the right town. Because Don just posted the information on Cinematreasures site today.

[ February 16, 2005, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

Don Lewis

- posted February 16, 2005 06:49 PM      Profile for Don Lewis   Email Don Lewis         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone! After studying a Texas map I am convinced the Lorex is or was in Loraine. I have definitely explored and recall some of the other towns around Loraine.

Thanks again...I had given up on this one as it is the only "Lorex" that I have ever seen or heard of.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.