HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Mystery Cinemas   » Columbo episode

Author Topic: Columbo episode
Greg Johnson

- posted January 31, 2005 08:58 PM      Profile for Greg Johnson   Email Greg Johnson         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw an old Columbo episode on tv the other day entittled Double Exposure. In it Robert Culp murders a client of his who is about to report him for blackmail and a theater projectionist who also trys to blackmail him. Robert Culp kills the second man in the projection booth (back in the days of changeovers). There is an exterior shot of the theater which supposedly is in Los Angeles. The Marquee is very large and resembles the Orpheum theater marquee downtown, but the name on the Marquee says Magnolia. I am unaware of any Magnolia theater in the Los Angeles area and it does not look like the picture of the Burbank Magnolia in the database. It could have been the Orpheum Theater but I will have to see the episode again to be sure. Does anybody know anything about this?

|  IP: Logged

William French, Jr.

- posted February 01, 2005 07:44 AM      Profile for William French, Jr.   Email William French, Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
When watching TV or movies, it is important to remember that the studio backlots have exterior theatre sets. Also, sometimes shows and movies will use the interior 1927 Phantom Of The Opera set (a recreation of the Paris Opera House) at Universal Studios. Production companies also use stock footage of theatres from around the world. I have seen the same shot of the War Memorial Opera House in San Francisco in at least 5 different TV shows, supposedly representing theatres from all over the country.

Thanx,
William

Bill Gabel

- posted August 08, 2005 09:28 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The exterior shot of the theatre is the old Magnolia Theatre (#12790) in Burbank, California back in 1973. That marquee looks nowhere near the Orpheum Theatre in Downtown Los Angeles. The booth was the Magnolia's also. The other theatre and booth featured in that episode was the old Preview House on Sunset Blvd., now known as the Harmony Gold Screening Room. The episode "Double Exposure" from season 3 of Columbo is set to be released August 9th from MCA.

Also the Magnolia's exterior was used in the Warner Bros. films "Night Moves" and "Big Wednesday".

[ August 09, 2005, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.