CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Mystery Cinemas   » Sacramento, CA: Village Theatre MYSTERY SOLVED

Author Topic: Sacramento, CA: Village Theatre MYSTERY SOLVED
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted December 04, 2004 05:36 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Was this the Village Theatre?
 -

Or was it this building, which is now a bingo center?
 -

|  IP: Logged

Roger Katz

- posted December 05, 2004 05:01 AM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't have any knowledge of it, but my guess would be the top one as it looks more like a theatre and seems to have a movie poster frame on the right-hand side. If you go to the brief description on Cinema Treasures it seems to confirm this theory.

Mike Law

- posted December 06, 2004 04:30 PM      Profile for Mike Law   Email Mike Law         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, that is the Village Theatre for sure. It was built and operated by Mr. and Mrs. Harvey until 1974 when it was leased to Lippert Theatres, and finally to Gene O'Neill before becoming a bingo hall. It had 1195 seats in all. I know that because I counted them in 1974 when I was an usher there. I also worked there in the late 70s as a union projectionist. Mr. and Mrs. Harvey live here in Sacramento, although they are getting up in years. If I get you an address or phone number can you contact them for pictures? Also, when do you want to get together for a beer? I'd like to show you my interior photos of the Fox Senator, Alhambra, and California theatres. Let me know please.

Ken Roe

- posted October 18, 2005 04:56 AM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, Exactly which one of the photo's is the Village?

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted August 19, 2007 03:19 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally had a chance to drive by the site and the building in the first photo is the theater that has been demolished. The bingo center is in a separate building that was behind the theater.

Roger Katz

- posted September 04, 2007 06:14 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
And it only took 3 years to solve a mystery in your own town of residence [Smile] .

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.