Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Mystery Cinemas   » Norman, OK: Oklahoman Theatre

Author Topic: Norman, OK: Oklahoman Theatre
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 26, 2004 09:21 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the address I have, but the building says "Norman State Bank".

-

|  IP: Logged

Lauren Grubb

- posted May 31, 2005 03:50 PM      Profile for Lauren Grubb   Author's Homepage   Email Lauren Grubb         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious about this one. Did the address specify E or W Main Street? I know the numbers count up from each side of the railroad tracks. Also, it seems that the numbering system has changed since the early days of the city. For example, I have seen the first OU building described in publications as being at 1 West Main Street. The building is now described as being at 2XX West Main Street. Could the Oklahoman be a previous name of the Sooner Theater? Of course this is all just speculation.

Jeff Chapman

- posted June 07, 2005 04:46 PM      Profile for Jeff Chapman   Email Jeff Chapman         Edit/Delete Post 
During the early 1970's when I worked at the Sooner Theatre, an "old timer" projectionist took me on a tour of (former) Norman Main Street theatres. There were three; Sooner, University, and Varsity. The Varsity, then used as a mens wear shop, was located almost directly across the street from the Sooner and still had a gracefully arched marquee. Another was one block East of the Sooner, on the North side of Main, and had once been the University Theatre, but at that time was a staionary shop. Alley views still identify all these buildings as fromer cinemas by their heavy metal exit doors that flank each side of these structures.

Jeff Chapman

- posted June 10, 2005 06:42 PM      Profile for Jeff Chapman   Email Jeff Chapman         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, I forget to mention that the large furniture store that stands two buildings East of the Sooner Theatre was once the Norman Opera House.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.