Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Mystery Cinemas   » Scribner, NE: Scribner Theatre

Author Topic: Scribner, NE: Scribner Theatre
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 26, 2004 08:42 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the address I have, but is this the Scribner Theatre?

-

|  IP: Logged

Roger Katz

- posted November 27, 2004 05:43 AM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
You should always check around back and see if there's an auditorium. This does look like a lobby building, though. A ghost of a marquee remains and that white clapboard wall obviously used to be where there were doors.

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 27, 2004 11:39 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
There was nothing around back to indicate "theater".

The problem with old listings in small towns: often the address listed in directories is the owner's home address or the address of the business he runs on weekdays. Or, the theater is old enough that it was demolished and another building was erected in its place pre-art deco.

My favorite: Let's renumber the street addresses and rename the streets! Hell, let's rename the town!

Jim Rankin
(Jim passed away in December 2006)

- posted November 27, 2004 09:14 PM      Profile for Jim Rankin   Email Jim Rankin         Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand Adam's frustration with towns changing their street names and addresses, and I am sure that he already knows this, but perhaps others do not realize that this occured more often than not due to the increasing size of communities as villages grew into towns, and towns into cities. Originally someone's address could just be Walnut near Main, but then more houses and buildings were built and they had to create numbers, and then around 1900 the Post Office set up a more or less uniform procedure for delivery according to numbers and leaned heavily on cities that did not have good numbering/street naming systems. Many places had Green and Greene, and Green St. and Green Ave. and duplications and confusions such as this were a real problem with trying to deliver the mail, so many communities gradually reorganized as they grew and under pressure from the Feds. In some cases, such as my native Milwaukee, the city originated as three small hamlets that merged into the city of Milwaukee in 1836 and with this came three different naming and numbering systems which were not entirely reconciled until 1930, over much local sentimental opposition in favor of older names and numbers! I guess that such changes are inevitable with time and growth. In my city this means that many theatres had two different addresses: the original pre-1930 one for the older ones, and then post-1930 ones. There is even a directory at the library to correlate between the two, but this is a tedious matter for an historian!

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted November 27, 2004 10:19 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Detroit renumbered much of the city in 1939 (or some year ending in 9). Storefronts were so concentrated that if you drive down the street now, the 00 blocks are two or three blocks long. The same year the city directory had both addresses listed for each business, but it still made it fun to put together a theater list. [Smile]

Matt Lutthans

- posted April 06, 2008 12:47 PM      Profile for Matt Lutthans   Email Matt Lutthans         Edit/Delete Post 
You have the wrong state! That's not Scribner, ND, it's Scribner, NEBRASKA, my grandfather's hometown. I was there in October and will send in my front and rear photos. It's 516 Main Street.
Matt Lutthans
Marysville, WA

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted April 06, 2008 05:59 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Fixed. It was a pretty long trip. [Razz]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.