Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Mystery Cinemas   » Waco Texas Mystery

Author Topic: Waco Texas Mystery
Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted February 28, 2004 06:31 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I took this picture north of Waco last month. It was right off the interstate.

-

|  IP: Logged

Mark Richey

- posted March 17, 2004 12:12 AM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's the Lacey Lakeview 6, but I'm not positive. I have a number of friends who went to Baylor, and I can ask them if they know for sure.

I have no clue when it opened, but I do know it closed sometime in 2000.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 19, 2004 04:29 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks to me like a Hollywood Theatres remodel, but I'm not too familiar with other small chains in the area. Could it have been a Premiere Theatre?

David McCurry

- posted September 09, 2004 10:05 AM      Profile for David McCurry   Email David McCurry         Edit/Delete Post 
I can solve this mystery: You are both right. That is the Lacey Lakeview 6. It was originally a Schulman Theatre, who lost it back in the early 90's. Hollywood had it for a time, but I think it was independent when it closed.

When Schulman pulled out, the owner of the now shuttered Casa Linda in Dallas and I drove down to check it out. He declined to pursue it and it sat empty until Hollywood picked it up. They didn't remodel though, other than putting their sign on it. It closed in 2000 and if I am not mistaken has been demolished. I haven't been to Waco in a couple of years but I know there were plans to build a new retail center on the site.

I don't remember anything extrordinary about it, other than all the auditoriums were sloped and had stereo (some 2-channel), a luxury at the time in a market like Waco. The theatre space also included a large non-sloped room attached to the lobby for either retail or a 7th auditorium. It had a back bar concession stand and a walkway over the lobby between the two sides of the booth. Somewhere I may still have the pics I took. If I find them, I'll pass them along.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted September 09, 2004 10:11 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I took the picture in January 2004, so it was standing then.

But thanks for solving that mystery for us. More pics would be great. [Smile]

Mark Richey

- posted September 23, 2004 06:07 PM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
I drove through Waco in July, and I'm fairly certain I noticed it still standing then. I'll be there in a couple of weeks for the Missouri-Baylor game (go Tigers!), and I'll make sure to look out toward that shopping center as I whiz by on I-35.

Mark Richey

- posted October 13, 2004 09:00 PM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
I drove by it on Sunday, after my weekend trip to Waco (which included a visit to one of the new multiplexes that helped kill off this one). It was still standing, though still empty--actually, the entire shopping center is empty. It might not be a bad call to tear it down.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.