Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Mystery Cinemas   » San Antonio, Texas MYSTERY SOLVED

Author Topic: San Antonio, Texas MYSTERY SOLVED
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted October 14, 2003 07:25 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
From Bob Meza:

Located at 1123 East Commerce in San Antonio.

-

|  IP: Logged

Roger Katz

- posted October 14, 2003 08:37 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
A Google search of the address immediately shows that 1123 E. Commerce St. in San Antonio is the address for the Cameo Theatre (#20280) which we have listed as 619 E. Commerce St. My source on the 619 E. Commerce address, which I had supplied, was from 1955. Apparently there has been a renumbering since then. I do not know how or if this renumbering affects the addresses of any other San Antonio theatres in the database.

John Stewart

- posted November 13, 2003 01:32 PM      Profile for John Stewart   Email John Stewart         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that theater is just about 1 block east of I-37 on Commerce street. If you look on a map of downtown SA, I-37 runs on the east side of town north and south and I-35 is on the west side of downtown. The Cameo would be on the east side of 37 on Commerce and about 2 blocks north of the old Spurs arena.
I sent an inquiry about it to a friend in SA and, although he didn't answer my question directly, this is what he said about it.

"The Cameo was a black only theatre. It NEVER had union operators. I have never been inside, but have passed by it many times. There was another black only theatre called the Ritz that was owned and operated by SK Barry, who later owned the Capitan and Fiesta Drive ins!"

Charles Van Bibber

- posted September 13, 2004 09:01 AM      Profile for Charles Van Bibber   Email Charles Van Bibber         Edit/Delete Post 
This is definately the Cameo Theatre. It is near St. Paul Square in downtown, current address 1123 E. Commerce, across from Sunset Station Depot. Wild Bill Hickoci appeared in person at the Cameo in the 1940's. It became a night club for a while. It is currently called the Cameo Center.

[ September 13, 2004, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Charles Van Bibber ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.