CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Mystery Cinemas   » Limeridge Mall 4, Hamilton, Ontario (sorta) mystery

Author Topic: Limeridge Mall 4, Hamilton, Ontario (sorta) mystery
Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Administrator

- posted June 29, 2003 10:54 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea         Edit/Delete Post 
CT #178 Limeridge Mall 4, 999 Upper Wentworth

I can't remember where in the mall the theatre was.

The doors on the left don't have handles on them anymore... it makes me think that this entrance is no longer used... possibly the old theatre entrance.

-

I think this one is more likely as the last photo is of the side of this unit.

-

Side of Home Outfitters unit... four exit doors for four auditoriums... that makes sense to me.

-

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 30, 2003 01:41 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a bit strange that the exit doors are above ground level, though. Unless they were moved up when the floor was leveled for retail use. Or the auditoriums all had stages that you had to step up on to get to the rear exits, which is retarded but not unheard of.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Administrator

- posted June 30, 2003 07:15 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea         Edit/Delete Post 
Better yet is sloped floor seating that rises back up to the screen.

The exit doors are at about the same height as the entrance doors. The concrete of the exit steps appears to be more than two years old (the theatre closed in 2001).

Perry Robitionate

- posted September 05, 2006 07:22 AM      Profile for Perry Robitionate   Email Perry Robitionate         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work in this mall as well as frequent the cinemas tons. The mall has undergone some substantial changes since Famous Players was there.

The first picture shows the mall entrance. When the cinemas were there, you went through the doors on the right and did an immediate right-turn *downstairs*. As I recall, there was a set of stairs as well as a ramp.

The box office was at the bottom, in the very right-hand corner...and taking a further left brought you to the snack-bar on the left, the cinemas on the right, washrooms sorta straight-ahead.

More specifics to follow.

(Later)

Ah. Thanks to my Personal Memory Assistant, Anthony, here's the scoop:

"When the mall first opened, to the right of that entrance was a Dominion store. Quite a nice one. It closed, during our lifetime there, and became a K-Mart. There went the neighbourhood.

If you went in through the entrance doors, you found yourself at the top a very wide and long set of stairs going down. Down to the food area. When you were at the bottom of the stairs, you could hang a sharp right and head down a long ramp, divided for line-up purposes, that ended at the box offices.

After buying a ticket, you went left to enter the lobby."

So the doors you see in the third photo...they can't be the exit doors, because we're talking one and a half levels below this.

I tried to attach a drawing my friend composed (Leave it to an architectural technician to provide something like this...), but couldn't resize. I can email it to anyone who's inclined to want a more graphic answer to this mystery.

[ September 05, 2006, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Perry Robitionate ]

Greg Hannah

- posted October 21, 2007 08:53 AM      Profile for Greg Hannah   Email Greg Hannah         Edit/Delete Post 
Perry's description is correct. I managed those theatres from 1987-89 before re-opening Jackson Square as a six-plex. Just inside the small lobby, the first cinema was #1, then #2 and so forth towards the end of the lobby. The restrooms were across from cinema #4 at the back. The theatres were indeed in the bowels of the mall and were subject to bad flooding when I was there twice when sub-pumps or plumbing failed after getting clogged with improperly disposed of grease from the food-court 4 levels above. They were nice small cinemas ranging from about 200-364 seats.
I'm sure I have photos packed away of the entrance and lobby areas.

Allan P. Barnes

- posted May 01, 2008 06:16 PM      Profile for Allan P. Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan P. Barnes         Edit/Delete Post 
Perry is correct. It was a nice but small 4-plex in the mall's basement (off the food court) of Limeridge Mall. Famous Players closed in late 1999?

Alex Bonenfant

- posted November 16, 2010 06:07 PM      Profile for Alex Bonenfant   Email Alex Bonenfant         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys;

I worked at Limeridge for seven years and frequented it back when the theatre was in use. The cinema is still there. At the top picture the doors on the left do indeed lead down to the old theatre; when the food court was renovated back in 2000 the ramp area as well as an old buffet restaurant were converted into the current food court.

Just recently I noticed the door down to the old theatre was ajar, I ventured down the stairs and while there is very little room the screens are still there.

It is very eerie but they are still down there. I will try and get pictures next time. I asked one of the janitors why the door was open and the security guards and janitors frequently use the doors as ways to sneak out for smoke breaks and timmy runs.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted November 17, 2010 07:45 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see that. Something just spooky-cool about things being left intact behind closed doors.

Michael Willoughby

- posted February 08, 2013 09:14 PM      Profile for Michael Willoughby   Email Michael Willoughby         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see the pictures of the Limeridge Mall Cinemas. That place had a lot of childhood memories.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.