HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Mystery Cinemas   » British MYSTERY SOLVED

Author Topic: British MYSTERY SOLVED
Daniel Fuentz

- posted May 27, 2003 01:13 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
This is from an episode of the comedy "After Henry". The sign on the front of the building says "Cannon Cinemas, The No. 1"

-

Any ideas what theatre this might be?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Roe

- posted May 28, 2003 04:08 AM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a lot to work on here, but I'm 99% sure it's the former Rembrandt Cinema, Kingston Road, Ewell, Surrey, England (photographed in 1986). The three rounded columns under the light box match, as does the window frame details on the one lit up window to the left. Another match is the narrow white band of concrete above the windows.

Ewell is located near to Epsom, Southwest of London, and I believe that the Rembrandt has been used for location filming before. Located on a main road, but set well back from the traffic and being in an isolated area, far from a busy shopping street, it made an ideal place to shoot movies unhindered.

The Rembrandt Cinema opened on 3rd October 1938, architect E. Norman Bailey. There were 1,462 seats and a cafe located in the circle foyer. It was taken over by ABC Cinemas in 1943 and known as the ABC Rembrandt until it closed for twinning in September 1971. It re-opened in November 1971 as ABC 1 & 2 with 606 seats in the former circle and 152 seats in the former rear stalls area. Taken over by Cannon Cinemas in May 1986 and became Cannon Ewell, it passed to MGM Cinemas control in May 1993 and was re-named MGM Ewell. It closed with a special screening of 'The Last Picture Show' to a decent sized audience on the 23rd April 1998 (I was one of them). The cinema was demolished a few months later and housing built on the site. There is a new Odeon multiplex now in nearby Epsom.

Daniel Fuentz

- posted May 28, 2003 05:05 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot for that information! Ever since I saw this episode a few years back, I was wondering if they used an actual cinema for filming.

Earlier in the episode, they show the three characters walking from the right hand side of the building towards the center, where there is a staircase leading up to the cinemas. They never show past the staircase, though. Does this fit with the design of the Rembrandt? (The episode this shot comes from is "Unforeseen Circumstances", if that series ever gets repeated over there)

Ken Roe

- posted May 28, 2003 10:59 AM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
The building is on what could be described as a service road, the main road runs at a lower level. There are/was a set of steps up to the service road from the pavement of the main road. Inside the foyer of the theatre, the stairs to the circle are to the right hand side. The theatre car park entrance is at the right of the building. So yes, it all ties in. I will look out for a repaet of the series on satelite tv.

I have sent you some photo's by e-mail so you can compare but here is one taken in daylight from about the same position when it was first opened in 1938.
 -

Paul Linfesty

- posted May 31, 2003 09:50 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty         Edit/Delete Post 
All right! ANOTHER mystery solved! you guys are AWESOME!

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 10, 2003 01:37 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not convinced! [Razz]

Here's an enhancement of Daniel's original image.

-

Ken Roe

- posted June 10, 2003 04:50 AM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, what do you think of this photo taken in 1985 of the Rembrandt (ABC) Ewell. I Still say I am right, Note the design of the four window frames.

-

[ June 10, 2003, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 10, 2003 11:47 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, you win! [Big Grin] In that view, I can see how the facade changed with the addition of the reader board.

Daniel's image appears to have been taken in late 1989 or early 1990, when Back to the Future Part II and Ghostbusters II were released in the UK. Betty Blue was released in 1986, but rolled out over a long period of time ... I played it here in the US in 1992.

(By the way, Ken, the ending IMG tag needs a slash in it. Click "edit" on your post to see how I added it for you.)

Daniel Fuentz

- posted June 10, 2003 01:11 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
That episode was originally broadcast in the UK on Mar 27, 1990, so Adam is correct in saying it was filmed in 1989 or 1990.

I didn't know "Betty Blue" was an actual film, either! That picture is involved in the sub-plot of the episode, but I didn't think they had used the title of an actual film. Well, you guys have solved two mysteries! [Big Grin]

Derek Phillips

- posted June 12, 2004 03:41 PM      Profile for Derek Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Phillips         Edit/Delete Post 
A year on from the original debate, having only recently found this topic, I can confirm that this is the Rembrandt Ewell. The episode was filmed in January 1990. I was Chief Projectionist at the cinema at the time although unfortunately off sick with Chicken Pox that week so unable to watch the filmimg in progress. I never saw the episode when broadcast. As I was off sick I can't confirm the films showing but I suspect that the titles displayed on the canopy are those showing at the time.

The "Back to the Future" logo was produced on perspex by a film industry model maker who lived (and still lives) locally. It was made in 1985 for the release of the first film an appears to have a crude "II" added for the sequel.

The Photo's (and probably the info) reproduced by Ken appear to be taken from the 50th Anniversary brochure I produced in 1988. The printing was of poor quality hence the naff reproduction. The more recent shot was one of a set I took in Febuary 1986. By coincidence it also features the "Back To The Future" logo.

I've started a Virtual Tour of the Rembrandt Cinema Ewell on my web site

www.derek.phillips.ukonline.co.uk

Still under construction, but there are plenty of photos and more to follow. Maybe the resolution is a bit high so download time is a bit long on 56K, but for those on high a high speed connection, enjoy the pictures until I reduce the file size!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.