HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Mystery Cinemas   » Roxy Theatre (Texas?) MYSTERY SOLVED

Author Topic: Roxy Theatre (Texas?) MYSTERY SOLVED
Mark Sachleben

- posted May 16, 2003 07:03 PM      Profile for Mark Sachleben   Email Mark Sachleben         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought this picture off ebay a few years ago but have never been able to identify it. It is possibly a theatre in Texas, because written on the back are the words "at alamo tex 1946" (I think) Any help? Thanks

-

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 16, 2003 08:43 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I was gonna guess the obvious, but I don't have a Roxy listed in San Antonio. That's not to say that my list is accurate ... I haven't researched SA yet.

Ron Keillor

- posted May 17, 2003 01:30 AM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a Roxy Theatre in Alamo, TX(?) - I did not find a listing for an Alamo in Tennessee.

CROCKETT COUNTY SENTINEL
VOLUME 76 NUMBER 46
THURSDAY MARCH 10, 1949
BELLS, TENNESSEE
DEATH--Fred B. HAMILTON, old time showman, for many years a partner in the Hamilton-Kasley Co. touring this section, died Saturday at the home of his daughter, Mrs. R. A. CAMPBELL in Memphis at the age of 70. He managed the Bells Theatre and Roxy Threatre in Alamo for a short time before he quit the show business entirely. He was born and reared in Rives, Tenn

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 17, 2003 11:45 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute ... is that snow in the photo?

Mark Sachleben

- posted May 17, 2003 11:55 AM      Profile for Mark Sachleben   Email Mark Sachleben         Edit/Delete Post 
That was one of my questions about this picture - if this either Alamo or San Antonio, Texas, what are the chances that there was snow on the ground?

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 17, 2003 12:46 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wow. There's actually a town called Alamo near McAllen. Still, though, snow?

There are towns called Alamo in the following states:

Calif.
Colo.
Georgia (can't remember the old abbreviation)
Ind.
Mich.
Nev.
North Dakota (can't remember the old abbreviation)
Tenn.
and Tex.

I vote for Tennessee, too.

Ron Keillor

- posted May 17, 2003 01:27 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor         Edit/Delete Post 
The quote I found was from a Tennessee site, so I'll agree that's a lot more likely.

Darren Snow

- posted May 19, 2003 04:40 PM      Profile for Darren Snow   Email Darren Snow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm for Tennessee too, and here's why: Check out the photo of the Wintergarden Theater in Bells, TN (taken by yours truly a few years ago) on CinemaTour. At first I thought it WAS the Roxy (the Wintergarden name, I'm sure, is a recent development), due to the one-three-one pattern of windows above the marquee, but close inspection revealed important differences. However, I see that Alamo is just five miles up the road from Bells, and I'll bet the same architect designed a lot of theaters in the area and used some of the same devices repeatedly. Also, the obituary excerpted above indicates that the same fellow managed the theaters in both towns, further connecting them in my mind. (So, Adam, I suppose it's safe to add an "aka Bells Theater" to the entry for the Wintergarden in Bells, TN now!) It takes a village to identify an old cinema, doesn't it?

Jack Coursey

- posted March 04, 2005 05:59 PM      Profile for Jack Coursey   Email Jack Coursey         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not been able to find anything listing an address for either the Bells or Roxy theaters in Alamo, TN or the Wintergarden in Bells. Does anyone have a street address for any of these theatres as well as know if any are still standing?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.