CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Mystery Cinemas   » Los Angeles, CA: 1315 Pico Blvd (aka The Great Debate)

Author Topic: Los Angeles, CA: 1315 Pico Blvd (aka The Great Debate)
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted March 15, 2003 12:44 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
The great debate, now in forum form! [Smile]

Bob Meza started all this with this photo:

-

Bob Meza: This is a mystery theatre located at ... 1315 Pico Blvd, Los Angeles, CA

Paul Linfesty: I've gone back to microfilm and this is definately not the Lido, nor the Pickfair, nor the Pickwood, the only theaters listed for Pico Blvd.

Gordon Bachlund: (7/20/2002) I drove by the below address, on the south side of Pico Blvd., this morning, and I would opine that this building may never have been a theater. There was a theater a few blocks west of this location on the north side of Pico, an independent house that was screening Russian films in the mid 1950s. I remember this place since I dropped by there once and spoke with the projectionist, who was neither Russian nor a member of Local 150. Looking for it today, I would surmise it was long ago torn down.

However, the Victoria Theatre building is still there at 2570 W. Pico Blvd.

Other theatres along Pico included the Midway (corner of Pico and Manhattan Place - the building still stands but has been incorporated into the adjoining commercial property), the Del Mar (south side of Pico two blocks west of La Brea Ave. - still standing vacant), the PicFair (north side of Pico near Fairfax - long gone), The Lido (north side of Pico west of La Cienega - I haven't visited the site yet), and the Stadium (south side of Pico west of La Cienega - now a Jewish Temple).

There was another large and relatively recent house (balcony, but no stage) on the south side of Pico near Westwood that is probably still there.

Bill Gabel: (10/7/2002) The mystery theatre you have for Los Angeles. After going through old records from MGM publicity dept. My guess that theatre was called the "Chic". Because Pico Blvd. had 14 theatres listed. All the other theatres have listings going into late 50's. But the Chic theatre listings disappeared in the
mid 30's.

Then, Adam Martin asked for a list of Pico theaters.

Bill Gabel: (10/9/2002) For Pico Blvd. you have:

The Bundy #16307
The Delmar #20090
Drive-In #10035
The Forum #20089
The Picwood #16309
The Stadium #12172
The Victoria #20087
Westside Pavillion #2121

The ones you are missing for Pico Blvd. are:

The Chic Theatre
The Empire Theatre
The Lido Theatre
The Midway Theatre
The Picfair Theatre
The Pico Theatre
The Sun Theatre
The Westland Twin Theatre

From the 1930 to 2002, Pico Blvd. had a total of
16 theatres.

Steve Gunn: (11/1/2002) Could it be the "Del Mar" Theatre? I have a grand opening flyer of the Del Mar..... it says it's on Pico, 2 Blocks west of La Brea.

Richard Houdek: (12/17/2002) This may be the former Empire Theatre, which was around this area, on the south side of Pico. I believe the Midway was farther up Pico, around the corner of Manhattan, according to one reference I have. According to the address, 1315, this would have put it between 12th and 13th, which is about right. Of course, the theatre looked much different then.

And here it sits now, simmering on the back burner ...

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel

- posted March 17, 2003 10:07 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The theatres that are still standing on Pico Blvd. are
  • DelMar
    Forum
    Stadium
    Victoria
    Westside Pavillion
    Empire (aka:Fiesta , Gaitey)
    Midway
The ones that have been razed are
  • Bundy
    Drive-In
    Picwood
    Chic ?
    Lido
    Picfair
    Pico
    Sun
    Westland Twin
Gordon wrote:
quote:
There was another large & relatively recent house (balcony, but no state) on the south side of Pico near Westwood that is probably still there.
That theatre was the Picwood Theatre, it was built in the late
40's and remodeled in 1966-67. The theatre has been razed. The
west building part of the Westside Pavillion is where it sat.
Steve Gunn wrote:
quote:
Could it be the DelMar?
The Delmar Theatre is located at 5036 W. Pico Blvd.

Richard Houdek wrote:

quote:
This may be the former Empire Theatre, which was around this area.
The Empire/Fiesta/Gaitey Theatre was located at 2131 W. Pico Blvd.

Joe Vogel

- posted May 08, 2009 09:56 PM      Profile for Joe Vogel   Email Joe Vogel         Edit/Delete Post 
The L.A. County Assessor's office gives a 1921 construction date for the 6100 sq. ft. building at 1315 W. Pico. There is no theater listed for this address, or for the adjacent addresses, in either the 1929 or 1936 city directories. The 1936 directory lists the U.S. Burglar Alarm Co. at 1315 W. Pico. Nothing was listed at the address in 1929.

If this was ever a theater, it must have been closed by 1929, but I doubt that it was a theater. Google Maps satellite view shows the building filling its entire lot, and there is no alley behind it to provide access for emergency exits. I'm sure the local building code required rear exits for theaters by 1921.

The nearest theater to this location was at 1408 W. Pico, listed as the address of the Sun Theatre in 1929 and 1936, and the Sunbeam Theatre in 1915.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.