Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Mystery Cinemas   » Gloom, Texas mystery cinema

Author Topic: Gloom, Texas mystery cinema
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted March 15, 2003 12:24 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
This one is from Bob Meza:

-

"I was told this was a movie theater, but do not know the name."

|  IP: Logged

Don Lewis

- posted January 19, 2005 10:06 AM      Profile for Don Lewis   Email Don Lewis         Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance this should be "Groom" Texas?

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted January 19, 2005 10:44 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, it's too close to Amarillo. [Razz] But, yeah, probably.

Don Lewis

- posted February 13, 2005 06:59 PM      Profile for Don Lewis   Email Don Lewis         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, since I lived in Amarillo for a year in 1972, and know what you mean, I think "Gloom" is appropriate!

Joe Vogel

- posted April 14, 2010 03:44 PM      Profile for Joe Vogel   Email Joe Vogel         Edit/Delete Post 
Though the magazine provides no evidence that the building pictured above was the location of the house, the Groom Theatre at Groom, Texas, is mentioned in several issues of Boxoffice. The earliest mention I've found is in the March 27, 1954, issue, which says: "Frank Dove of the Groom Theatre reports increased attendance since he installed a 24-foot screen and special projector lens." Given the width of the building in the photo, if that was the theater then the 24-foot screen must have been nearly wall-to-wall.

Frank Dove is first mentioned as a theater operator at Groom in the issue of June 26, 1948, though the name of his theater is not given in that item. In 1956 he bought the Panhandle Theatre in Panhandle, Texas. He appears to have renamed both theaters the Dove. An April 24, 1961, Boxoffice item says that the Dove theatres at Groom and Panhandle were closed.

A December 25 Boxoffice item that same year says that "Bob Nicholson" had remodeled and reopened the Groom Theatre. The last mention of the Groom in operation I've found is in the issue of September 17, 1962, when operator Bob Nickelson reviewed "The Two Little Bears" for the magazine's "The Exhibitor Has His Say About Pictures" feature.

A June 10, 1968, Boxoffice item mentions Frank Dove as the operator of the Dove Theatre in Panhandle, and added that he had lately sold his interest in the Groom Theatre, which had been closed for years after being operated under lease by other exhibitors. Dove expected the Groom building to be converted for other business uses.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.