Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Mystery Cinemas   » Walnut Ridge, Arkansas mystery

Author Topic: Walnut Ridge, Arkansas mystery
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted March 15, 2003 12:11 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
From Darren Snow:

-

|  IP: Logged

Roger Katz

- posted March 15, 2003 07:50 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
Walnut Ridge had two theatres as of 1947, so this is likely either the Metro or the Cnandelle

Bill Gabel

- posted April 14, 2003 01:02 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Walnut Ridge in 1932 had only one theatre. It was called the
Sharum Theatre and it seated 250 people. In a listing for
1946, the same town had two theatres now. The Metro and the
Cnandelle Theatres. The Metro seated 300 people and the
Cnandelle seated 500 people. So maybe the Sharum and the
Metro are one in the same, after being reseated and a name
change.

Phillip Gray

- posted October 10, 2006 05:46 AM      Profile for Phillip Gray   Email Phillip Gray         Edit/Delete Post 
According to an e-mail at:
http://www.thetd.com/messageboard/read.php?10,26474,30424#30424

The Metro was located at NE Front and has been demolished.

Jon Walter

- posted February 24, 2007 07:41 PM      Profile for Jon Walter   Email Jon Walter         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, great site. Stumbled on it when I was googling for Sharum Theater. This theater is in my home town, and closed in the 70's when I was a kid. Hopefully this will solve your mystery.

The building you're viewing is on 222 W Main Street in Walnut Ridge and was last known as the Sharum Theater. It was last bought in late 1980's by someone in the attempt to restore, but it never happened, the only thing they did was paint the exterior the white and pink colors. It still looks exactly like the picture you have. Not sure how many seats it had, but I would guess at least 500, and it had a balcony with more seats.

HISTORY of SHARUM THEATER
It was originally the Swan Theater but later became the Sharum Theater. It was built in 1924 under the leadership of Swan C. Dowell. It was supposedly one of the nicest theaters of its time in North Arkansas. It operated from 1924 until about 1930 when it was damaged in a fire. When it burned, J.J. Sharum first opened the Sharum Theater on NE Front Street. The Sharum burned in 1934 and was reopened on NW Front Street. Somewhere during this same time, the Swan Theater on Main Street was restored from the fire damage and became T.J White Furniture Store. Then around 1940, J.J. Sharum acquired the Old Swan, restored it to its original excellent condition and renamed it the Sharum Theater. The old Sharum on NW Front then became the Metro Theater.

(paraphrased from the Article "Movies Provided Entertainment in First Half of Century", by L.R. Warner, published 1981 in the Lawrence County Historical Quarterly)

Roger Katz

- posted September 16, 2009 05:45 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
This mystery is solved. Any chance we can get it unstickied from this page and the photo added for the theatre?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.