HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » AMC pulls LA Times Ads

Author Topic: AMC pulls LA Times Ads
Rob Alexander

- posted April 11, 2012 11:35 AM      Profile for Rob Alexander   Email Rob Alexander         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that my LA Times has not had any AMC ads with movie times for a week or so. I just called one theater, and they told me that AMC will no longer advertise in the LA Times.

I think this is a ridiculous move. Maybe I am old school, but I like to know where everything is playing and find the best theater, and make my decision on where to go based on one glance.

Guess it is no more AMC visits for me. I assumed newspaper ads would eventually go away, but this really shocks me.

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted April 11, 2012 08:46 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Took them long enough to do it. They were talking about removing it back in 2002 when they got rid of the ad in small papers.

Christopher Crouch

- posted April 12, 2012 11:19 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
On a personal level, I hate to see newspaper ads disappearing. I've always preferred the convenience of the entertainment section, as opposed to the annoying hassle found online. Before exhibitors and studios starting cutting back on newspaper advertisements, I also used to enjoy looking through the pages of theatre and movie ads on weekends; there is no question some of those ads resulted in me trying out a theatre or movie I normally wouldn't have considered.

On a business level, I can understand the move. There just aren't enough people turning to newspapers for such information anymore and the cost of print ads remains relatively high. The company I work for dropped all of their ads this past year and we really haven't noticed any significant change in business.

Chris Utley

- posted April 14, 2012 09:01 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Hate to say it, but we're in the final days of print. Everything is going online nowadays. I sure do miss those 30-40 page Friday Calendar sections from the 80's.

Edward Havens

- posted April 19, 2012 07:16 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss the tabloid-style Sunday Calendar section, with the full-page ads in the front and the many pages of nightclub ads in the back.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted April 20, 2012 07:51 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
I know,right? The L.A. Times sucks now. I miss TV Times,as well.

Mark Lensenmayer

- posted April 21, 2012 02:35 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC & Regal (which only has 1 theatre in this area) pulled out of newspaper advertising in Central Ohio years ago. Rave and Cinemark only on weekends, with Movie Tavern only on Friday. I think Marcus may advertise every day. Local independents don't advertise in the newspaper at all.

With the shrinking distribution of the paper, and the extreme price increases, I'm not surprised at this...I can even get complete movie times off of my color Nook! And the ones I care about most send weekly email schedules.

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted May 20, 2012 06:30 AM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a dumb expense for theatres anymore. Nobody goes to AMC for the sake of going to AMC...they go to see a specific movie. Movies are promoted individually, and even patrons who can't be bothered to look up showtimes online are almost guaranteed the multiplex down the street will be playing it every couple of hours.

I don't know why people bother with newspapers anyway. They're cumbersome to read and the local personality in them disappeared two decades ago. As far as I'm concerned, they can't go away fast enough.

Bob Allen

- posted May 20, 2012 11:49 AM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be the ad manager for a small art chain in the SF Bay area and I can see dropping newspaper ads because of the cost. And Sam has a good point. People want to see a specific movie not a specific theatre except for the techno-geeks among us who say they notice the difference in screen presentation from theatre to theatre. The average movie goer does not.

Fulby Goldbatch

- posted June 03, 2012 02:51 PM      Profile for Fulby Goldbatch   Email Fulby Goldbatch         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in southeastern Michigan, both AMC and Regal (which really only has one location in the entire state of Michigan, [Eek!] a United Artists 14-plex in Walled Lake) pulled their ads(concurrent to what Mark Lensenmayer said above) from both the Detroit News and the Free Press some time ago. I'll have to see. According to a Free Press from May 18, 2012 (the day Battleship opened in theaters), the only chains advertised in the "Movie Guide" section are: Cinemark (it only says to purchase advanced tickets at their site or call a phone number, it also has only one location in Michigan, Movies 16 in Warren) Emagine (which is the main chain on that page), Goodrich Quality Theaters (also with only one location listed, a 7-plex in Canton), Landmark and MJR. A few independents are listed and that's it.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted June 04, 2012 06:35 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
The L.A. Times reduced the Regal display ad from two pages to just one page several days ago.

Fulby Goldbatch

- posted June 05, 2012 12:04 PM      Profile for Fulby Goldbatch   Email Fulby Goldbatch         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's an update on the newspaper advertising situation in southeastern Michigan: AMC and Regal have started being listed again in the "Movie Guide" listings. Dipson (which has only one theater in southeastern Michigan, the West River in Farmington Hills), Phoenix Theaters and Rave (which operates a former Showcase Cinema in Ypsilanti) have also started being listed again. Three additional Goodrich theaters were added in addition to the one in Canton. Several more independents have started listing again too. The two drive-ins in Metro Detroit are now again listed. All this was according to today's Free Press. The "Movie Guide" itself was also redesigned.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.