HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Holidays

Author Topic: Holidays
Paul P. Meyers

- posted December 17, 2010 10:37 AM      Profile for Paul P. Meyers   Email Paul P. Meyers         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy holidays everyone. And on that topic does anyone have any old or current memories or thoughts on Christmas or New Years decorations in and outside theatres ? Or stuff that happened during those holidays in th past or now ...

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Crouch

- posted January 03, 2011 02:33 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from a short break from the industry, I've worked at theatres every holiday season since I was 17. Blockbuster films, big crowds, long hours, pre/post holiday turnover of staff, and gift certificate/card sales have come to form my non childhood holiday memories. Closing early on Christmas Eve (the one day of the year when the industry does so); Christmas mornings spent with those who don't celebrate the holiday; evenings with people who have grown weary of "family time"; a day of answering "are you open today?" phone calls. A unique holiday experience, to say the least.

Back when exhibitors were a bit more "relaxed" with human resources and liability issues (and/or when employees were more "relaxed"), I remember attending some really fun theatre Christmas parties. When I was a teenage usher, at an independent, the manager actually bought a keg of beer for everyone (try getting away with that these days!). Even, normally uptight, AMC could let it's guard down (to a degree) in the multiplex days; I recall trading out passes for fully catered parties, everyone screening that season's big release, "secret Santa" gift exchanges, raffles for prizes as significant as a 20" television, etc. However, changing times and attitudes ultimately turned these festivities in to little more than "we'll treat the team to pizza" evenings. I can't really place all of the blame for this shift on exhibitors either, as I've noticed that today's theatre employees don't seem to have the same attitude towards working at a cinema as they once did; perhaps, it's partially a case of distorted "back in my day" memories, but things have definitely changed.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.