HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Digital Discount

Author Topic: Digital Discount
Christopher Crouch

- posted October 28, 2010 05:01 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone aware of a discount/sub run theatre with digital projection on all screens? (note: I'm refering to commercial grade digital projection, not utilizing something like home consumer LCD projectors). This week, the discount cinema I oversee completed a full conversion to digital projection. I'm trying to determine if this was a national "milestone" or merely a regional first. I'm aware of discount theatres with one or two digital screens, but I haven't located any that are fully digital yet.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted October 28, 2010 01:09 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Since a discount house usually means a cinema is at or nearing the end of its life cycle, I am curious what the business case for spending the money to convert a whole discount multiplex? 3D?

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted October 29, 2010 07:48 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
There must be at least ONE Carmike out there with digital+discount.

John J. Fink

- posted October 30, 2010 07:17 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
I assume with Carmike closing theaters, like the one in Sandusky which was all digital (last time I was there it was 35MM and otherwise had a late 80's vibe) - there may be digital equipment for sale. Also if theaters are upgrading circuit wide to digital 4K, there may be 2K equipment that might become available second hand. I assume this is how smaller operators will be able to take their chains all digital if they must, of coarse the danger is you'll have a mess of servers and projectors that might counter the benefits of running on virtual autopilot.

Christopher Crouch

- posted October 30, 2010 09:51 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Not all discount theatres are waiting out a lease or on their proverbial last breath. Some are actually quite lucrative and more than pull in enough revenue to warrant such an expenditure. We also installed all new equipment (no cast offs or hand me downs from others) in this conversion.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.