HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » trouble at los angeles theaters

Author Topic: trouble at los angeles theaters
Scott Polidore

- posted July 01, 2010 02:35 PM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
ok i was born and raised in south central los angeles and i never saw the bright idea in paying an absurd amount of money just to fight..... what. the. hell.

some of you are from los angeles and know what im talking about first hand. the two in question for sure are the hawthorne amc from WAY back when by the hawthorne mall and the flagship theaters aka the university theater next to 32nd street market. it's just mind boggling how many idiots there are out there. and it seems i moved to another 'hot spot' in toledo. the rave/ cinema de lux is one of those places where a city has one theater and all the knuckleheads step on each others $199 shoes and want to fight...

wanna know the worst part?

they're all HIGH SCHOOL KIDS from two schools....

i quit theaters for now. give me the drive in.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted July 01, 2010 04:42 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
In the mid-late 80's, both AMC Hawthorne and University Village (where I wasted years watching cinematic greatness in sub par presentation standards because I was too scared to learn the RTD/MTA travel system!) were both relatively safe places to see flicks. The place that was notorious for fighting...and shooting...was the old Baldwin Hills Entertainment Complex. Drama went on there seemingly every weekend back in the day.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 01, 2010 06:12 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Shoot opening weekend at Montebello 10 we had a fight in theater 9 and someone was stabbed. Blood was splattered on the wall and painted over.he later died. This theater has always spooked me since there is a ghost there and I have not been in theater 9 since Nov 1992.

Bill Gabel

- posted July 02, 2010 05:50 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
I worked many theatres in the Los Angeles market and have gone to see movies also. And have never had a problem.

Scott Polidore

- posted July 03, 2010 07:53 AM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
chris, im surprised anyone remembered baldwin hills lol. my mom used to look in the paper for good movies...and then decide just based on where it was if it was safe enough. i remember going to see higher learning and it was crazy in there. fights galore.

Danny Baldwin

- posted July 04, 2010 06:51 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I have been next to a fight breaking out in a theater was at the Chinese 6, strangely enough. Promotional screening of "Pride and Glory" -- two guys go at it because Guy A's Girlfriend yells at Guy B Girlfriend for blocking her line of sight and Guy B's Girlfriend refuses to move. Threats and a few punches ensued. Security guard was a wimp compared to both of them so he did nothing and it just broke up naturally.

There have been some seedy, very disruptive characters at the University Village and Highland Park 3s and the now-deceased Grande 4 at a few showings I've been to, but things never escalated.

Other than that, no luck... but I rarely have ventured to the places you'd expect fights.

Also, when I worked at AMC, I remember Magic Johnson was always referred to the only theater in the company that required Friday/Saturday night security be armed.

Christopher Crouch

- posted July 06, 2010 04:04 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, when I worked at AMC, I remember Magic Johnson was always referred to the only theater in the company that required Friday/Saturday night security be armed.

Back in the 90's, the AMC Pine Square 16 had a similarly bad reputation (can't imagine it has improved much since then). I remember nearly every former Pine Square manager having some horror story about their time there.

Scott Polidore

- posted July 08, 2010 04:03 PM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
i hate to say it.......but damn. black folks dont know how to act LOL. we get in theaters and people get shot......go figure

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.