HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Captain Eo Returns To Disneyland

Author Topic: Captain Eo Returns To Disneyland
David Au

- posted February 22, 2010 07:50 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
The 70MM 3D film Captain EO returns to Disneyland on Tuesday February 23.

I remember this movie from when I was a young kid. The sound was loud and the 3D special effects were amazing.

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted February 23, 2010 10:29 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe its for a limited run only.

This morning the OC Register was reporting that at 8am, about an hour before the park opened, 100 people were waiting in line for it (in a special line, of course)

http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2010/02/23/live-at-disneyland-fans-in-line-for-captain-eo/35413/

quote:
Live at Disneyland: Fans heading in for ‘Captain EO’
February 23rd, 2010, 7:30 am · 43 Comments · posted by Sarah Tully

Disneyland officials have let into the park the 200 fans who began gathering Monday night near the main gate to see the first showing of “Captain EO” in its return engagement.

Some screamed out, “EO!”

(Check back here later, perhaps at 11 a.m. or so, to get the reaction from fans on the first showing at 10 a.m. )

The line for the Michael Jackson film, “Captain EO,” swelled to about 70 people as the sun came up on the movie’s first day back at Disneyland.

About 35 were already in line by 6 a.m. Tuesday, about four hours before the first showing of the return of the 3-D movie at the Tomorrowland theater, where it played from 1986 to 1997.

Although the park opened at 9:30 a.m., Disney officials allowed Jackson fans to line up early on the west side of Disneyland’s main entrance. Disney formed a second line before 7 a.m.

Click here for a round-up of tweets about #captaineo.

By 8:20, the line had grown to 125.

First in line was Daniel Lew, 36, from Oceanside. A reporter for California Horsetrader, he got here at 9 p.m. Monday. Eight more of his friends joined later.

“I’ve been waiting patiently with anticipation,” he said. “I didn’t sleep for one second. There’s been so much anticipation and buzz from the Disney fan community for “Captain EO.’ ‘

Also in line was 24-year-old woman wearing a white jacket with sequins with a “Captain EO” logo on the back, as well as homemade “Captain EO” earrings. And two other young women who started driving from San Francisco at 9:30 p.m. Monday and got here at 3:30 a.m. They wore “Captain EO” shirts and had stuffed animals of “Fuzzball,” a character in the movie, resting on their shoulders.

A mom had her 6- and 8-year-old kids with her. The boys may or may not go to school after the movie, said Verdelle Reynolds, 33, of Chino.

T.V. reporters were doing live shots from the scene, as enthusiastic fans hooted and danced. About 30 Disney employees also are on hand.

Rick Rothschild, who was the show producer for the original “Captain EO,” was brought back as a consultant for the film’s revival. Disney was able to make a new print of the film, updating the audio and adding “tactile” elements to the movie.

“The effects in it are of the time, and quite remarkable of the time,” Rothschild said.

One of the movie performers, Renee Colette, came out to the line. She said the experience was a “thrill of a lifetime,” and she remembers Jackson as “very precise and very kind.”

“To be able to actually dance with him, I was so blessed to be able to do this,” Colette said. She said she is looking forward to sharing the movie again with others.

While some people originally objected to the return of the movie because of child-molestation allegations against Jackson, no one was talking about that in line.

Instead, some in line remember “Captain EO” as a reflection of the era.

“What I love about this is … it captures a moment where music and videos are at (their) height,” Lew said. “This film reflects one of Michael Jackson’s highlights in the ’80s, when he was the most popular.”

Fans line up for to see Captain EO. Photo courtesy of Norman Gidney, MiceChat.com

Disneyland is reviving the 17-minute movie because of the renewed popularity of the singer after his June death. The movie is playing for a limited engagement, but Disney officials have yet to say how long it will stay.

Jackson stars, sings and dances in the science-fiction movie. The film features the songs “We Are Here to Change the World” and “Another Part of Me,” both written and performed by Jackson. The latter song is 0n Jackson’s “Bad” album in 1987.

Follow our live coverage on Twitter @arounddisney and on the blog.

Chris Utley

- posted February 23, 2010 02:38 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I read that it's an infefinite run (based on how successful the revival is).

David Au

- posted February 25, 2010 12:13 AM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
According to Disney Imagineer Rick Rothschild the show is going to run indefinitely. Most likely they will keep running the movie as long as lots of people come to see it. The crowds were quite large on the first day. Even though there was short notice as to the movie coming back, there are many people who want to see it. People were camping out overnight just to see the movie. People were cheering in the theater and they gave the movie a standing ovation. It has a cult following almost like Star Wars. This was just a weekday. When people in other parts of the country find out about this they will make a pilgrimage to Disneyland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY5rHMNjLek

The Honey I Shrunk the Audience movie that was previously being shown here had very few patrons. The theater was empty most of the time. I am sure Captain EO 3D will bring back the crowds to the theater. Disneyland will gain more admissions and Captain EO fans will buy lots of souvenirs.

I can't think of any other movie that would be able to bring in crowds like Captain EO. If they try to bring back Honey I Shrunk the Audience the theater will be empty again.

Once Disney realizes the popularity Captain EO, I believe they will bring it to all of their Disney parks around the world. If they decide to make it a long term attraction they can add back the laser effects and the explosions of smoke just like the original attraction.

Right now, just having the movie back on the big screen in 3D is incredible. Captain EO was meant to be seen in a movie theater with a cheering audience.

Scott Polidore

- posted April 17, 2010 04:34 PM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
i LOVE this film. i used to sneak back in the exit door and wait for the next showing as a kid

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.