HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » General Cinema in St. Louis

Author Topic: General Cinema in St. Louis
Bradley Higgins

- posted December 08, 2009 04:03 PM      Profile for Bradley Higgins   Email Bradley Higgins         Edit/Delete Post 
How many theaters did GCC have in St. Louis and why did they leave in the 1980s?

|  IP: Logged

Kyle Muldrow

- posted December 16, 2009 11:59 AM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
This has been mentioned before in other threads, but I'll repeat myself here. I'm sure my fellow St. Louis types on this thread will add their comments as well:

When General Cinema left St. Louis in 1988-89, they had the following theaters open, which were acquired by Wehrenberg:

Chesterfield Mall 4
Northwest Plaza 4
Jamestown Mall Twin
Lindbergh 8
Mid Rivers Mall 6
Sunset Hills 4

They had also previously operated these theaters, which had closed before they left St. Louis:

Northland Cinema (not sure how many screens)
Grandview Twin
South County Center Twin

Those are the old GCC St. Louis theaters I am positive about. Now for the ones I'm not so sure about, so I'll need some help:

GCC also ran the Airway Drive-In on St. Charles Rock Road, before selling it to Wehrenberg.

They also ran the old Gem/St.John's Cinema in St. John's, also on the Rock Road. Look up the Gem Theater on here to confirm.

That's the only ones that come to mind. If I missed any of them, I hope my fellow St. Louisans can fill you in.

As for why they left St. Louis, it's all about money again. GCC had been losing a lot of money by that time and decided to sell a lot of their theaters to save cost. Sadly, this didn't really help much and, in 2001, barely 10 years after they left St. Louis, GCC went bankrupt and was eventually acquired by AMC.

[ December 16, 2009, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Kyle Muldrow ]

Bradley Higgins

- posted December 16, 2009 05:53 PM      Profile for Bradley Higgins   Email Bradley Higgins         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't find anyone in the search.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.