HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Theatre Recommendations in Dallas, Texas

Author Topic: Theatre Recommendations in Dallas, Texas
Chris Utley

- posted September 11, 2009 12:38 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Ladies and gents of CinemaTour, it looks like Team Utley (me, wifey, the 3 year old big guy and the 4 month old Duchess) are headed to Dallas, TX in 2010 to visit my brother-in-law...who's expecting TWINS late December/early January! The game plan is for us to drive up there (cheaper than flying!) and stay for 7 days (it'll take 2 days to drive back and forth).

So...while I'm there, you know I'll be on the hunt for Dallas's biggest and best movie houses. For those who don't know me, let me reiterate that I am not looking for tours of theaters that no longer show movies. Instead, I am looking to see Iron Man 2 and others in the finest theatres in the Dallas area. Please submit your recommendations. No rush...we've got about 9-10 months before the trip. And it gives us something to talk about other than what's new and what's closed.

|  IP: Logged

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted September 13, 2009 01:47 PM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm told the Studio Movie Grill in Arlington is the bee's knees. Brad will probably agree. [Wink]

Of course, you could always day-trip up to Moore, OK and check out the Warren...

Chris Utley

- posted March 25, 2010 09:05 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while since I opened this discussion. The trip is definitely on. We're headed down to Dallas (Plano, to be exact) around Labor Day.

So...any more recommendations? The one theatre that's on my MUST DO LIST is the Galaxy Drive-In in Ennis. Very much looking forward to checking that place out!

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 25, 2010 11:06 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
SMG Plano is Brad's baby... go there. See if you can tell it was ever an old UA.

Chris Utley

- posted March 25, 2010 02:17 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I only went to 2 UA's ever back in the day - 1 in 1985 & the other in 1991. I have no clue what their decor was like.

I will make the time to visit one of the plethora of drafthouse cinemas when I'm there. Still scratching my head as to why we don't have one in the LA area.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 26, 2010 10:57 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure if the UA in Long Beach closes down it would quickly be turned into a CineBarre what with their affiliation with Regal and all.

Christopher Crouch

- posted March 26, 2010 11:33 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to check out the Inwood Theater. It's a classic cinema (late 1940's) that Landmark remodeled with their lounge concept. However, it's run as an art house, so I'm not sure your kids would enjoy it as much as the blockbuster megaplex experience.

Chris Utley

- posted March 26, 2010 02:39 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
My 4 & 1 year olds are still too little to go to the (indoor) movies with me. My 4 year old can't sit through the new wave of 3D movies without getting so bored that he takes his glasses off!

Chris Utley

- posted June 02, 2010 01:29 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
It's June and we're 2 1/2 months away from our trip. Since it'll be the dog days of summer, movie going isn't as big of a priority - I doubt my wife will make me take her to see "The Expendables", but as I said before, we'll at least hit the Galaxy Drive-In and one of the drafthouses.

What currently is the biggest theatre in the area? "Big" in terms of auditorium size/screen size/depth of field soundwise, not number of screens.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 02, 2010 05:23 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give somebody $5 if they can convince Chris to visit a bunch of theatres under the guise of each being awesome, only for him to find out they all have common width screens with top masking.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 02, 2010 11:41 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
The Grand 24! If the big screens are like Norwalk and other first Gen megas.. They have side to side masking iin the largest auditorums...

Plus it would be only in operation for a month longer.

John J. Fink

- posted June 03, 2010 10:49 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
...excellent reason not only to visit but visit with a camera and Cinema Tour the hell out that place.

Chris Utley

- posted June 03, 2010 01:34 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
@Scott: Keep your money. [Rolling on Floor Laughing] I've all but accepted the fact that I'll be surrounded by top masking no matter where I go. Whole darn area is surrounded by Cinemark, AMC & Regal. I'll take a peek at Cinemark Legacy but not the other 2.

How far is The Grand from the Plano area? If it's close enough, I may try to swing by.

John Robert

- posted June 20, 2010 02:04 AM      Profile for John Robert   Email John Robert         Edit/Delete Post 
It's about 15 miles to the nearest part of Plano from the Grand, Chris.

Chris Utley

- posted August 19, 2010 01:45 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Trip postponed. Again. Blame my lack of saved time off at work. Will shoot for Thanksgiving or Christmas 2010.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.