HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » IMAX Digital

Author Topic: IMAX Digital
David Au

- posted March 13, 2009 07:07 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Watchmen in IMAX Digital today at AMC Bay Street in Emeryville, California. I must say that it was an ok experience. The screen was only a little bigger than what used to be there. They took an ordinary large auditorium and put in a slightly bigger screen. The screen looks like it was moved a few feet closer to the audience. The sound system seemed to have been improved slightly. The bass was very thunderous and loud. The picture quality looked bright and clear. The color also looked fine.

I had seen the same movie on film at a THX certified movie theater. I have to say that the difference was very slight. The IMAX sound system was probably a little better. The picture quality looked about the same. As long as film is properly projected, it looks just as clear, bright, and dust free.

The advantages to IMAX Digital are a bigger than normal screen and a slightly better sound system. There was no dust or flicker. I enjoyed the IMAX Digital experience, but it just was not as great as a full sized traditional IMAX screen.

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Crouch

- posted March 18, 2009 03:53 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of IMAX Digital. To me, it's just a ploy to cash in on the IMAX name. People are accustom to the "grand experience" of traditional IMAX and likely expect IMAX Digital to be an upgrade on that. However, it's actually little more than standard digital with a slightly larger screen.

Theatre operators will benefit, because they can advertise the IMAX brand without the expense of building a special auditorium. IMAX will benefit from having a product that is more accessable to theatre operators. Yet, movie goers don't stand to benefit from much of anything with this "downsized" IMAX.

Hopefully, technology will eventually allow for IMAX Digital to reach the large scale grandure of it's traditional counterpart. Otherwise, I could easily see the brand turning in to little more than a theatre's "large auditorium", as movie goers become accustom to these lesser IMAX experiences.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.