HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Pretty Woman Flashback

Author Topic: Pretty Woman Flashback
Ron Pierce

- posted October 26, 2008 02:56 AM      Profile for Ron Pierce   Email Ron Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this old Newsbank article on my local library website, available with a library card.

http://infoweb.newsbank.com/iw-search/we/InfoWeb?p_product=NewsBank&p_theme=aggregated5&p_action=doc&p_docid=0F35FDD20097E6DE&p_docnum=1&p_queryname=2

PROVO THEATERS TANGLE OVER `PRETTY WOMAN'
Deseret News, The (Salt Lake City, UT) - Friday, August 3, 1990
``Pretty Woman,'' the popular movie by Disney's Touchstone Productions, momentarily turned not so pretty on Thursday afternoon as local theaters and Los Angeles brokers tangled over distribution of the film.

The problem started when Buena Vista Distribution released ``Pretty Woman'' to the dollar-movie houses, while an area Mann Theater continued showing it for $5.50.

Bonnie Able, manager of the local Mann Theaters , complained to Mann corporate headquarters that it would be impossible to get people to her theater if the dollar theaters were showing the movie.

Within a few hours Able was told to let people in free to see the show. But then Buena Vista pulled the show from the dollar houses.

In Utah County, that left Movies 8 in Provo, the Alhambra in Pleasant Grove and the Villa Theater in Springville scrambling for replacement pictures, changing advertisements and fuming.

By 4:30 p.m. Thursday the decision was made that while dollar houses were not going to show ``Pretty Woman,'' Mann theaters were going to let patrons in free.

Within 30 minutes, the movers and shakers in Los Angeles changed that, and ``Pretty Woman'' was scheduled to appear at Mann's Central Square Theaters , at 7:15 and 9:30 p.m. The cost - $5.50.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.