HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Paul Newman

Author Topic: Paul Newman
Ron Pierce

- posted September 30, 2008 04:10 PM      Profile for Ron Pierce   Email Ron Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
“The Silver Chalice”
Studio: Warner Bros
National release date: December 20, 1954
Opened in Fresno, California: January 28, 1955 at the Stanley Warner Theatre.
Length of engagement: One week
Paul Newman had fourth billing after Virginia Mayo, Pier Angeli and Jack Palance.
“The Silver Chalice” was Paul Newman’s first theatrical film after many television roles. This story has been told before but the LA time notes that when “The Silver Chalice” was shown on television in the 1960’s, Newman took out an ad in the trade publications “in which he not only apologized for his wooden performance but, urged viewers not to watch. Of course, it was a ratings blockbuster.” As my memory serves me I remember seeing an ad but since I didn’t read the trades, it must have been in the LA Times.
My earliest memory of Paul Newman was seeing the theatrical trailer for “Somebody up There Likes Me”
Memorable Newman roles for me: “The Hustler” and “Hud”

Click to view newspaper ads

[ September 30, 2008, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Roger Chinnici

- posted October 02, 2008 08:23 AM      Profile for Roger Chinnici   Email Roger Chinnici         Edit/Delete Post 
If Mr. Newman had know one handed push ups would ingratiate one to movie goers, he could have done a few and stolen the thunder of Jack Palance. Surely, I jest!

Dave Felthous

- posted October 03, 2008 05:11 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
If "The Silver Chalice" was shown on TV in the 60s it probably was a pan-and-scan version, which would have made this CinemaScope film even worse.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.