HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Sydney Pollack 1934 -2008

Author Topic: Sydney Pollack 1934 -2008
Mark Campbell

- posted May 26, 2008 10:19 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Sad to write this in a section called "Cinema Yak" but a great one has left us. I added a comment earlier in on the Film Tech website so I'll copy it her:

Had the tremendous (and odd) experience of working down the hall from Mr. Pollack for a brief time in Santa Monica while he was editing a film in Santa Monica out of some rental production office space. He was just 2 doors down from me (I was working on something else) but we would always see each other in the hall, parking lot etc. He was always such a gracious gentlemen when amongst us ordinary folk. He and I even figured out how to keep a fire door open together (I know, exciting, huh). I never acknowledged who he was other then someone else working in the building, but he didn't seem to care. He seemed to have no ego despite all of his great accomplishments. This is very rare and says a lot. Especially since I wanted to gush about how much I admired him. He might have been fine with that too. So let me gush now. "Tootsie" was genius!

I later added:

I forgot to add that I finally saw "Jerimiah Johnson" for the first time last year and loved it. It should be on "The List" whenever anyone talks about the great movies of the '70's. Digital effects and projection etc. be damned! A great FILMmaker has left us!

|  IP: Logged

Roger Chinnici

- posted May 28, 2008 06:04 AM      Profile for Roger Chinnici   Email Roger Chinnici         Edit/Delete Post 
Scanning over Pollack's filmography I fail to see the how "Tootsie" could even have gotten a serious mention. In my opinion the film was nothing but ridiculous fluff and a waste of "Dustin Hoffman". I must admit, however, Hoffman was wasted in many projects.

Brad Erickson

- posted May 28, 2008 05:08 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like I lost a family member. Sydney Pollack has been a favorite since I was a teenager. I'm not a person who really mourns celebs passing, but this is a sad loss. I've been reading alot of nice heartfelt tributes over the past 2 days, and they are well deserved.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.