CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Stuck in the 80's (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Stuck in the 80's
Jeff Arellano

- posted January 16, 2008 03:29 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
The University 3 has an odd AMC like appearance, and even the theatres sign is a former AMC sign. Who operated this theatre when it opened?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted January 29, 2008 01:05 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Have not been there, but looking at the pictures I would think the Century North Hollywood 8 is a fine example of Stuck in the Eighties. May they never alter it!

Chris Utley

- posted January 29, 2008 02:32 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to the Century North Hollywood a BILLION times - mostly in the early 90's when I was in high school. It's more of a late 80's vibe - not too shoeboxy, the downstairs auds have that center aisle splitting the seats in half but the upstairs auds don't (thankfully, I've never seen a film here downstairs!), and, it USED TO BE THX Certified.

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 30, 2008 02:14 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to see the Century North Hollywood for some reason. Its the only Century Theatre in Los Angeles County!

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted January 31, 2008 05:07 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
They replaced the red rocking seats a few years back with high backed seats from the Cinedome in Sacramento, so it's not fully 1980's anymore... it has some 90's in there. And really, all any of the old Century's need to do to get out of the 80's is replace that red/orange/yellow carpet.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted January 31, 2008 06:58 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
I could have sworn the Century North Hollywood was originally a UA house.

Or am i imagining it?

Michael Coate

- posted January 31, 2008 07:50 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate         Edit/Delete Post 
Richard...

You're confusing two different theaters! The CENTURY in the community of North Hollywood (Valley Glen, actually) is on Victory Blvd. west of the 170 Freeway. The UA theater you are thinking of was a few blocks away, just east of the freeway.

The UA, by the way, had been run by Regency as a discount theater for a while and is now closed. The building has not been demolished or taken over by another company or business...yet.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted February 01, 2008 07:09 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh teah. Ok. Thanks Mike

Mark Campbell

- posted February 01, 2008 07:24 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
United Artists Marina Del Rey 6

Jason Whyte

- posted June 19, 2008 09:30 PM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone is up in Victoria, BC, swing on by the Capitol 6 which was erected in the early 80's. Despite some cosmetic upgrades, it still looks very 80's and dated, especially in the auditoriums. The place was a typical Famous Players build and the 80's checkerboard seats and carpet still remain to this very day, despite the cinema now being run by Empire "Happy to be in Second Place" Theatres.

That ugly dome you see in the first picture on the link is slated to come down this year as it leaks like crazy, but the dull looking brick exterior isn't going anywhere.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.