HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » AFI 40th Anniversary @ Arclight - 10/5/07

Author Topic: AFI 40th Anniversary @ Arclight - 10/5/07
Chris Utley

- posted September 25, 2007 10:15 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Have y'all seen/heard the big news? The American Film Insitute is hosting their 40th Anniversary Celebration at Arclight Hollywood on 10/5/07. 11 films presented by the actors/directors who made them - and a hell of a list/film presenters at that!

This thing sold out in less than 12 hours - but I got my ticket...to see "Spartacus"...which is playing in THE DOME!!!

If the print's in 70MM, I will shat my pants!

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 27, 2007 12:11 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars sold out very fast.
I tried.

Chris Utley

- posted September 27, 2007 08:31 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars was the first to sell out. Spartacus was the last film to sell out...but that's because it's playing in an aud that seats 800+. I get the feeling that a lot of folks were "settling" on Spartacus since they couldn't get into the other flicks.

Another thing - although they advertised that tix went on sale on 9/18, they actually went on sale the night before. I had a feeling in my gut that they might release tix sooner. That's the ONLY way I was able to bag such spectacular seats for Spartacus.

Heh...if I was REALLY smart, I would have copped 5 Star Wars tix. I'd make a kiling off selling 'em on Ebay!

Chris Utley

- posted October 02, 2007 01:34 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
OOPS...I just realized I posted the wrong date for this. It's 10/3 - not 10/5!

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted October 02, 2007 02:49 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Originally,they were supposed to show 11 films.

However,Morgan Freeman's shooting schedule forced him to pull out and the screening they'd planned for "The Shawshank Redemption" had to be cancelled.

Chris Utley

- posted October 04, 2007 11:18 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the report from last night:

The entrance to Arclight was covered in Red Carpet (neato).

Folks were dressed in everything from suit to jeans and everything in between. I shoulda dressed sharper.

All the movies got started REAL LATE. The events were supposed to kick off at 7:00 PM - most didn't start till close to 8:00 PM.

They broke the cardinal rule of cinematic presentation: NO SLIDE SHOWS! The Dome screen was 50% open so AFI could run a myriad of "Spartacus" triva stuff over...and over...and over...and over...and over again! Ugh!

Far Left/Right seats & the whole stadium seated section of The Dome was full. The middle floor seats, though, had some serious gaps. A bunch of folks didn't claim their seats at all.

1st intro to the night happened round 7:15 or so when one of the directors of AFI's Silver Springs Maryland branch did a mini intro.

7:45 - 8:00 or so gave the REAL intro. Curtaiss close, lights dim, and a 1-2 minute clip of AFI's history kicks off. Clip shows President LBJ announcing the forming of the American Film Institute and finishes with a plethora of clips with a voiceover underneath. The Chairman of AFI's Board of Directors makes his spiel and introduces LA Mayor Antonio Villarigosa. We gave him a nice applause - no boos. He talked about how "Spartacus" influenced him to get out there and change the world, blah blah blah. AFI Chairman comes back and introduces Kirk Douglas.

Weird seeing Kirk Douglas at 90 years old. Not used to seeing him in his twilight. Speech was slurred (of course) but absolutely passionate. The highlight of his remarks were about how he fought to get Dalton Trumbo's screenplay on screen and, of course, how he fought to ensure that Trumbo got his proper screenplay credit. We gave Mr. Douglas 2 standing ovations.

Mr. Douglas leaves, the Oveture kicks in, lights dim, curtains open (and open and open and open), Universal International logo pops up on screen and we're off and running.

The version of "Spartacus" that we saw was the 1991 restored version. No one told us (and nothing was advertised on site) if we were seeing the 35MM or 70MM version. Heck...doesn't matter. That film looked AWESOME on the Dome screen! As much as many folks balyhoo about images on edges of the Dome screen being distorted & out of focus, I have to say that I didn't notice any of those issues at all. Everything looked crisp, sharp and, most of all, BIG!

Film ran without an "official" intermission. The "Intermission" title appeared onscreen but, 2 seconds later, the Entra'cte (sp?) for Act 2 rolled in and we were off and running.

Film ended after the 11:00 hour and was greeted with mucho applause.

All in all, it was a night to remember.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.