HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Theatre Staff Attire

Author Topic: Theatre Staff Attire
Christopher Crouch

- posted September 23, 2007 05:09 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I was curious as to everyones' opionion on theatre uniforms. More precisely:

As a theatre goer, do you like the "business casual" dockers/polo shirt that has become somewhat of an industry standard for staff and management?

Personally, I've always preffered a more formal approach to theatre staff/management dress, as I feel it creates a degree of professionalism and adds to the overall theatre going experience. I would much rather see bow ties and vests, pseudo tuxedos, and managers in suits when I go to the movies (or even while I'm working). For me, even the cheesiest polyester penguin suit of years past is prefferable to today's attire.

I was thinking about this after recieving my daily odd look or "are you the owner?" question for wearing a coat and tie at work (despite my current employer not requiring it, I still wear a suit while on duty).

|  IP: Logged

David Au

- posted September 23, 2007 03:16 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I don't notice what theater employees wear. Most people don't pay attention to such details. As long as employees are nice and do their jobs, I don't think it really matters. However, I do expect that managers wear something that makes them noticeable as managers. If I need to find a manager I want a person who is easily recognizable, i.e. someone in a suit and tie or other formal attire only worn by management.

As for ushers and concession workers, uncomfortable ties and uniforms make working a chore. Grumpy and uncomfortable employees give worse service. A nice comfortable short sleeve polo shirt and comfortable pants makes everyone much happier. Bowties and vests can look ugly and can be embarrassing for employees. Polo shirts and khaki pants look fine.

If a theater wants an air of formality, the theater could make the ticket taker or ticket seller wear the formal attire. That way the first people customers see will be in the nice looking uniforms.

[ September 23, 2007, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: David Au ]

Christopher Crouch

- posted May 20, 2010 05:05 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Sort of an update to this thread:

I may be a bit dated in my view on theatre worker attire, but the new uniforms AMC rolled out this past year have hit a new low. The loose fitting, black polyester, t-shirts look to be something straight out of a 99 Cent Store bargain bin. Generic cotton t-shirts would be a step up from these things.

The pathetic aspect is that AMC actually places a fair amount of thought in to "updating" their staff uniforms semi annually (they also used to place a great deal of effort in to defining/enforcing what they termed as the "AMC look"). I remember when they transitioned from the bowtie and vests to the ship crew member style shirts (circa 98'); there were employee/customer polls, test runs, and design meetings to fine tune the look. I'm thinking this latest change was studied more by the accounting department than operations and marketing.

While most movie goers likely don't place much thought in to staff uniforms, I'm thinking the new look is growing so sloppy and cheap that people will start to notice once again (for all the wrong reasons). Discount pajama tops may not affect one's enjoyement of a film, but they do have a subtle impact on the overall moviegoing experience and ultimately alter the company's public image.

John J. Fink

- posted May 20, 2010 02:41 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha - your right about the employee uniforms at AMC now, I was thinking this was some sad attempt to replicate the Apple Store employee's look (t-shirts and jeans), which works excellently for Apple with the lanyards and all.

I don't think AMC employees now wear name tags, I don't really dig the AMC uniforms now but it doesn't effect me going to AMC, I live in Buffalo now, we only have on AMC (I'm a fan of Dipson Theaters), but I did notice the new AMC uniforms in NJ two weekends ago.

Dave Felthous

- posted May 30, 2010 06:01 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
At Regal we managers wear dark suits and neckties (men) and dark pants/skirts with dark blazers over blouses(women). Floor staff wear company-issue burgandy polos and dark pants. This has been the case for many years. Managers wear gold badges, the staff have white nametags with P-Touch name labels.

Landmark Theatres employees, at least where I live, often look sloppy. All sexes wear white shirts and dark pants, no neckties. At the Landmark I'm near the box cashier often is slumped over a book or is resting his/her head on the counter. The white shirts tend to be carelessly tucked in.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.