HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Earthquake in Sensurround

Author Topic: Earthquake in Sensurround
Michael Mohan

- posted June 12, 2007 02:12 PM      Profile for Michael Mohan   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Mohan         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found out that the LA Film Fest is playing the 1974 disaster film Earthquake later this month (June 30th). What's awesome about it is that they're presenting it in it's original sound format: Sensurround. I've never seen -no- experienced a film in Sensurround, so I'm extremely excited about this one. I'll cut and paste the info below for anyone who is interested - I bought my tickets online (www.lafilmfest.com). It's playing at the UCLA James Bridges Theatre, which I've never been to either. I wonder where they found the equipment and subwoofers in order to make this happen...

Earthquake

Presented in Sensurround

USA, 1974, 120 min

Directed By: Mark Robson
Writers: George Fox, Mario Puzo
Producers: Jennings Lang, Mark Robson
Cinematographer: Philip H. Lathrop
Editor: Dorothy Spencer
Music: John Williams
Cast: Charlton Heston, Ava Gardner, George Kennedy, Lorne Greene, Genevieve Bujold, Richard Roundtree, Victoria Principal

The mother of all L.A. disaster movies, Earthquake stars alpha-male Charlton Heston as a fearless construction engineer who risks life and limb to rescue workers in a high-rise office building after “The Big One” hits. With first-rate special effects, Earthquake is a crazy, campy, panic-filled thrill ride. Watch as your favorite L.A. landmarks are reduced to rubble, sidewalks split open and a massive dam threatens to submerge the city. Hold on to your seats: The film will be presented in Sensurround, an effect that simulates tremors in the theater!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Erickson

- posted June 12, 2007 05:07 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
How fun! Seems to me I remember a screening about 10 years ago at the LA COUNTY MUSEUM OF ART. I was going to go but ended up not. Too bad the Picwood is not around any longer. Even though it opened back in 1974 at Grauman's Chinese and moved across the street to the Paramount, I always associated EARTHQUAKE with the Picwood because it played there during the summer of 1975.

Bill Gabel

- posted July 20, 2007 10:49 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "Earthquake" at the Picwood and the next Sensurround feature "Midway" there. When they were razing the Picwood Theatre I talked to a few of the neighbors that was watching. The people who lived on the street behind the theatre remembered the Sensurround sound coming from the theatre during it's engagements there.

Matt Lutthans

- posted April 06, 2008 10:18 PM      Profile for Matt Lutthans   Email Matt Lutthans         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when Earthquake played the Everett (WA) Mall I-II-III in its first run. It didn't matter which wind tunnel (aka auditorium) you sat in, you heard it and felt it.

One of my prize possessions is a pair of amplifiers from an original SenSurround installation in SoCal. The amps still have MCA/Universal stickers on them.

Brad Erickson

- posted May 28, 2008 05:12 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Films were more fun in the past. I loved growing up in the 70's and seeing these films first run. Now films are so slick, empty and dull in comparison.

Todd Erwin

- posted June 03, 2008 02:07 PM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing Star Wars for the first time somewhere in the Philly area, and hearing "Rollercoaster" in Sensurround playing in the adjacent aud.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted June 03, 2008 06:33 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish i'd seen it in a regular walk-in thratre.

I saw it at the South Gate(i believe)drive-in so i never got to experience Sensurround". I saw "Midway" at a drive-in too. [Frown] [Frown]

Jim Perry

- posted December 26, 2008 01:19 PM      Profile for Jim Perry   Email Jim Perry         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in '74, I went to see "Earthquake" at 2 different theatres, in Sensurround, here in Vegas:
Towards the tail end of it's first-run engagement at the L.V. Cinerama (they doubled it with "The Hindenburg"), which was quite an experience!
And during it's 2nd run "move-over" at Mann's Boulevard Twin, which didn't have quite the same effect (side note: also at the Twin was Scorsesse's "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" - went to see that another day & sure enough, Sensurrornd RUMBLED into that auditorium, LOL!).

Also saw "Midway" & "Rollercoaster" in Sensurround during their first-run engagements as well - both shown at the Red Rock 11.

NEW NEWS -
As part of their upcoming "Masters Of Disaster" series, American Cinematheque at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, CA., will be showing "Earthquake" on Saturday, Jan. 3rd, 2009 at 7:30 pm.
AND YES, they ARE showing it in Sensurround!!!

Go to www.americancinematheque.com for more details.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.