CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Grindhouse (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Grindhouse
Christopher Crouch

- posted April 09, 2007 10:49 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I really didn't expect "Grindhouse" to set box offices on fire. No matter how much marketing or "education" (as Harvey Weinstein stated) was utilized, the film wasm't going to appeal to a mass audience. I didn't see the run time as being the problem, more the overall concept being something your average Joe would have trouble appreciating. I also don't believe Easter weekend was the optimum release date.

Still, it's unfortunate the film "didn't live up to expectations", as studios will obviously shy away from taking such chances for a while.

On a related note, people in the LA area can still catch some classic grindhouse programming at the New Beverly, through the end of April.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Richey

- posted June 11, 2007 09:40 AM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got around to seeing the movie last week, at the closest thing to a grindhouse left in DFW--a second-run theater that used to be a first-run theater. However, while the old Cinemark in North Richland Hills I saw it at wasn't as nice as, say, their flagship theaters in Plano, it still wasn't exactly a replication. Too bad I couldn't take a print of this and go back to 1982 and one of the old, rundown drive-ins that used to be scattered across the Metroplex.

Also, did anyone else find it a bit jarring that both movies took place in the present day, with cell phones and references to Bin Laden and young people staring blankly at discussions of late 70s TV shows? Since everything else was designed to invoke the spirit of the 70s, why didn't they set the films in the 70s as well?

Tom Mundell

- posted June 12, 2007 06:36 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, did anyone else find it a bit jarring that both movies took place in the present day, with cell phones and references to Bin Laden and young people staring blankly at discussions of late 70s TV shows?
Yeah, I noticed that but it didn't bother me too much. What I found really odd was the crystal clear digital surround sound; I'm tempted to say they should have had a distorted mono or near mono soundtrack to go along with the visuals.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.