CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Grindhouse (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Grindhouse
Chris Utley

- posted April 04, 2007 05:21 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I know all you old school drive-in heads are going to see this! I'll be at the Mission Tiki with the Southern California Drive-In Movie Society (of which I am one of the co-founders). We're throwing a "Grindhouse Tailgate Party" on Saturday April 7th.

If any of you SoCal area folks wanna drop by, be my guest. Details here.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted April 04, 2007 06:59 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
They should intentionally book this into...err...less desireable theatres for the full experience. They should have put it at the Vine in Hollywood instead of Grauman's Chinese.

Dan Roben

- posted April 04, 2007 07:40 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
My sentiments exactly, Mark. Here in Seattle, it's booked at the best theaters in town, the Cinerama, Pacific Place and Lincoln Square.

I haven't checked, but it might be booked into AMCs Renton Village 8, a former GCC house. That would be the closest we have to a grindhouse these days, as AMC has really let the joint turn into a dump.

I read on Film-Tech that even though the filmmakers simulate scratches and dirt on the print, the soundtrack is perfect in all its digital glory. If they really wanted to do this right, it should have gone out in mono.

That being said, I'll be in line at the Cinerama this weekend!

Mark Campbell

- posted April 04, 2007 08:32 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,

Since Seattle is my hometown (now an LA transplant) I have some other possible theatre ideas:

Existing:
Factoria
Admiral Twin
Gateway 8
Crest
Narrows Plaza 8

No Longer Existing/Operating (in another quantum universe):
Coliseum (where almost every Cannon fim played)
Northgate
Lewis & Clark
Aurora Cinema I-II-III
Rialto (Tacoma)
Narrows Theatre (Tacoma)
Parkland Theatre
ANY old Luxury Theatre (Kent 6, old Parkway Plaza...)

I heard the made an error with the intentional film break/splices in the film: the sound jumps at the exact moment as the image as opposed having a delay for the film to travel from the gate to the sound area ...

I think the best place in the LA area to see it that is opening the film is the Rialto in South Pasadena. Although it is a Landmark Theatre known for higher-brow fare, it is run down and old enough pass as a Grindhouse.

Chris Utley

- posted April 05, 2007 01:49 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in St. Louis, the films in the grindhouse canon frequently ran at drive-ins - most notably the Holiday, the St. Ann 4 Screen, the I-70 (Kyle Muldrow's spot!), and the Airway. The Wehrenberg Theatres 100th Anniversary book has a picture of the Airway marquee from the 1970's with genuine grindhouse material running on both screens: horror on screen 1, sexploitation on screen 2.

This flick makes me remember those days with gladness. That's why I absolutely have to see "Grindhouse" at a drive-in.

Mark Richey

- posted April 05, 2007 04:33 PM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
By the time I was old enough to see grindhouse fare, the genre had pretty much died off, and what was left was opening directly on the shelves of the nearest Blockbuster. For that reason, I'm not too familiar with what theaters in Dallas usually ran that stuff. However, since the climate in North Texas allowed drive-ins to be open year-round, I suspect most of that material played at ozoners. As for hard-top grindhouses, I think in their final days, the legendary theaters of Downtown Dallas had increasingly started showing exploitation titles.

Jeff Arellano

- posted April 06, 2007 09:22 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Los Angeles, the closest thing to seeing it in a grindhouse would be the old Highland 3 in Highland Park. Its old, dirty, decrepid and the main house was built in the 1930's....I doubt its in the balcony theatres.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted April 06, 2007 01:48 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
The California Theatre in Huntington Park,CA,triplexed in the late 70s',used to show movies like these as did the Cinemas 1-2-3 in Las Vegas.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted April 06, 2007 03:34 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Chris, a movie like Grindhouse would be more likely to show up at the Plaza Drive-In in St. Charles. The I-70 did show movies like that on occassion, but not all the time and, when it did, it would always balance it with a mainstream double feature (it was a two screen drive-in).

And in case anyone is wondering, the "horror" features on the Airway's marquee in the Wehrenberg book are:

Beyond The Door
Abby
Deranged

Ah, the memories...

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted April 08, 2007 10:31 AM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
The scratches are audible as well. They just have a really clean digital soundtrack underneath them.

All in all, I'd say Rodriguez did a great job of simulating a bad drive-in experience. Tarantino didn't go that far with his, aside from the plot and film style.

In any case, the whole thing was far more awesome than I expected it to be. The fake trailers are hysterical.

Bill Gabel

- posted April 08, 2007 11:31 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The last true Grindhouses in the Downtown area of Los Angeles. Where the Cameo and Arcade Theatres on Broadway. And the Optic Theatre on Main Street. There all started showing movies at 9am and ran till 5am the next morning. They showed 4 features a day or two showings of each for $1.50. And they changed features twice a week. So on the change day they would start the first set of films were the old ones and the second set would be the new films. So on that day you could see 8 features for $1.50. The other theatres along Broadway ran regular schedules starting at noon. You would never have a problem unless the film broke. As long as you had a picture on the screen everyone was happy. Some nights the manager would have the projectionist start the second 6000 foot reel early so they could get out earlier.

But those were the days. [thumbs up] [bow down]

Jeff Arellano

- posted April 08, 2007 09:26 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently they are going to make Machete into a movie next year, and maybe one other trailer tehy had.

Chris Utley

- posted April 09, 2007 11:12 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling that they may scrap that idea all together after their highly disappointing $11 million opening weekend. I blame "Death Proof" - too much talk, not nearly enough action for a 3 hour tour!

Ron Pierce

- posted April 09, 2007 12:32 PM      Profile for Ron Pierce   Email Ron Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
From Deadline Hollywood

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/what-went-so-wrong-with-grindhouse/

Harvey Weinstein told me this morning that he's "incredibly disappointed" with the half-than-expected $12 mil box office for Grindhouse. So much so, that he's considering abandoning the double feature as a single feature concept and re-releasing the movie around the U.S. "in a couple of weeks" as two separate feature-length movies with additional footage put in. That's what Harvey says The Weinstein Co. is already intending to do with the film's release in Europe: split it into two separate pics, Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof and Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror. "Quentin's movie goes out first in competition at Cannes. He'll do an extensive 4 to 5 month tour. And the trailer will be all Quentin's," Weinstein told me about his European plans. "Then we'll release Robert's a couple of months later. By splitting it up, we're going to do a hell of a lot better internationally than we did here." Weinstein noted that, even in Grindhouse's TV deal with Starz Entertainment Group, it's been sold as two separate movies. "Our deal with Encore is that they can play it any way they want." So this is why The Weinstein Co. is now deciding to suck it up and do in this country what it probably should have done all along. "First of all, I'm incredibly disappointed. We tried to do something new and obviously we didn't do it that well," Harvey told me today. "It's just a question of how is it going to hang in there. But we could split the movies in a couple of weeks. Make Tarantino's a full-length film, and Rodrqiguez's too. We'll be adding those 'two missing reels' that's talked about in the movie." (At one point in Grindhouse, a sex scene is interrupted because of "two missing reels".)

Weinstein pointed to several reasons why Grindhouse did so poorly in theaters over Easter weekend. "Our research showed the length kept people away. It was 3 hours and 12 minutes long. We originally intended to get it all in in 2 hours, 30 minutes. That would have been a better time. But the movies ran longer, the [fake] trailers ran longer, everything ran longer," Harvey told me. Weinstein also criticized his own marketing plan. "We didn't educate the South or Midwest. In the West and the East, the movie played well. It played well in strong urban settings. But we missed the boat on the Midwest and the South."

Chris Utley

- posted April 09, 2007 03:55 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Splitting them up is a TERRIBLE idea! They should just leave well enough alone and cut their losses. The boredom (till the end) of "Death Proof" withstanding, the experience of "Grindhouse" was pretty stinking fun as is.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.