CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » What is your favorite Cinematour photo? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What is your favorite Cinematour photo?
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted January 12, 2007 10:29 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently enjoying this one, but I can't put my finger on why I like it so much. Maybe it's the shape of the seat backs.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted January 13, 2007 09:59 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Interior of my favorite Los Angeles theatre, Mann's National in Westwood (courtesy of Mr. Neff):

http://www.cinematour.com/picview.php?db=us&id=24882

I have a few of my own that I need to send in. I wish we could post video because I have the curtain closing...

(PS: If there was a picture of an old GCC shadowbox auditorium on the site, that would become my favorite!)

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted January 13, 2007 12:06 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Email the video to the newsroom. I'm working on that. [Big Grin]

Mark Campbell

- posted January 13, 2007 02:25 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, how big of a file can you take? Does it matter that it has the last few seconds of Superman Returns credits or would that be violating copyright laws?

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted January 13, 2007 05:39 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Email me what the file size is and what format the video is.

(PS: GCC shadowbox at Framingham 6)

Ron Newman

- posted January 14, 2007 03:45 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, in 1953-54, it wasn't "Framingham 6", it was the single-screen Cinema Shoppers World.

Mark Campbell

- posted January 14, 2007 08:32 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
That shadowbox must have been fixed at 1.85:1 where the ones built in the 60's like the Villa Plaza in the Tacoma area were 2.35:1.

Ron Newman

- posted January 15, 2007 12:23 PM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Was anything yet being filmed in 2.35:1 back in 1953?

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted January 15, 2007 02:55 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
The Robe (1953) was the first CinemaScope film released.

Bill Gabel

- posted January 16, 2007 07:47 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
It was a 2.55:1 ratio.

Mark Campbell

- posted January 16, 2007 06:58 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to get this topic back on track I also like this one because of all the memories of seeing so many great movies in 70mm there growing up. If only someone had pix of the auditoriums.

http://www.cinematour.com/picview.php?db=us&id=10519

Dan Roben

- posted January 16, 2007 10:57 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
This may not be my favorite photo, but it helps to remind me what can happen when someone has the passion (and a hell of a lot of money) to save Seattle's most-loved theater from the wrecking ball:

Seattle Cinerama

I do love the fact that this photo shows just how big this screen is with the employee walking in front of it. There's very little masking at the bottom and top, so it is almost floor-to-ceiling. For true three-strip Cinerama (the 90 foot deeply-curved louvered screen is behind the one in the photo), the screen is truly floor to ceiling (no masking at all, top and bottom, and only a thin strip on the sides).

Conversely, the following photo reminds me of what could have happened the the Cinerama:

Southcenter Theater

The Southcenter was closed in 2001 and razed shortly thereafter for another chain restaurant. This photo shows the 1200 seat theater nearly sold out for a showing of Raiders of the Lost Ark (in 70MM of course!) back in the happier SRO Theater days.

Both were operated by Cineplex/Odeon when they were originally closed.

Mark Campbell

- posted January 16, 2007 11:36 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I saw "Raiders" for the first time at the Southcenter in 70mm when I was 11 years old in 1981. (I could be in that photo!) I saw it 4 more times at the Rialto in Tacoma as a double feature with "Airplane!" for $1 per ticket. My love of this film is is one of the reasons why I persued a career in the film industry. The photo also illustrates big event presentation that is lacking in the modern theatres of today...

My mother was at the very last show at the Southcenter on its last open day for "Moulin Rouge" in DTS Digital. She sent me her ticket stub. I will scan it and send it in to Cinematour when I get a chance...

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted January 17, 2007 06:30 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Call me odd but i love movie marquees.
And this one:Red Rock 11 always makes me homesick when i see it.

Yeah,i'm weird.

Chris Utley

- posted January 17, 2007 09:07 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Southcenter was closed in 2001 and razed shortly thereafter for another chain restaurant. This photo shows the 1200 seat theater nearly sold out for a showing of Raiders of the Lost Ark (in 70MM of course!) back in the happier SRO Theater days.
Now THAT picture really made me drool! Too bad Cineplex Odeon didn't get the idea that they could build a muliplex AROUND that theatre. Thank God Pacific/Arclight was that smart!

quote:
And this one:Red Rock 11 always makes me homesick when i see it.
My wife worked at this theatre during her teenage/college days in the 1990's.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.