CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » What 70mm engagements have you seen (and where)? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What 70mm engagements have you seen (and where)?
Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted January 10, 2007 10:37 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
OK,i might be off about "The Shining",but "The Black Stallion" was advertised as a 70mm movie in the paper and it played in the big,70mm equipped,screen at the Plitt Parkway triplex in Las Vegas.

The same screen also hosted screenings of "Alien" & "The Empire Strikes Back."

Those were definitely 70mm showings.

As was "Raiders of the Lost Ark" at the Mann Fox.

Oh,the memories that flood back...

|  IP: Logged

Michael Coate

- posted January 11, 2007 12:41 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate         Edit/Delete Post 
Richard...
I think there's a misunderstanding of what constitutes a 70mm presentation. Of all the titles you cite, the only one I think played in 70mm in Las Vegas was "The Empire Strikes Back."

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted January 11, 2007 05:20 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok...i was wrong. "The Black Stallion" wasn't a 70mm movie. Well...i was only 10 at the time. [Smile]

But "R.O.T.L.A.","Alien" and "E.S.B." WERE 70mm movies in Vegas.

Mark Lensenmayer

- posted January 11, 2007 06:28 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, boys, you have inspired me. I used Mike Coate's excellent lists to make up my official 70mm list. We did have 70mm here in the "heartland" and I saw almost everything that was available.

I also want to note seeing BEST OF CINERAMA and HTWWW in 3-strip at the Grand Cinerama in Columbus, and all of the Cinerama films at the Neon in Dayton.

Just a note on ONE FROM THE HEART. I think this is in 70mm because it was shown at the premiere at the Music Hall, and the film has a LOT of music that really needed the mag track.

My all-time great 70mm day was to see SHORT CUTS and GETTYSBURG in Detroit on the same day. Yes, over 7 hours of 70mm glory!

How I miss the Good Old Days of 70mm!

Year Film Location
? Around The World In 80 Days Hunt's Cinestage Columbus
? Sleeping Beauty Hunt's Cinestage Columbus
? Ben Hur Hunt's Cinestage Columbus
? Lawrence of Arabia Hunt's Cinestage Columbus
1963 It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World Grand Cinerama Columbus
1965 Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines Cinema East Columbus
1965 Hallelujah Trail Grand Cinerama Columbus
1966 Battle of the Bulge Grand Cinerama Columbus
1966 Dr. Zhivago Hunt's Cinestage Columbus
1967 Sand Pebbles (?) Cinema East Columbus
1967 Gone With The Wind Northland Mall Columbus
1968 2001: A Space Odyssey Grand Cinerama Columbus
1969 Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Grand Cinerama Columbus
1969 Sweet Charity Hunt's Cinestage Columbus
1978 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Oakbrook Chicago
1979 Superman Woodfield Mall Chicago
1979 Exorcist State/Lake Chicago
1979 Alien Dayton Mall Dayton
1979 The Rose Continent Columbus
1980 Empire Strikes Back Dayton Mall Dayton
1981 Raiders Of The Lost Ark Showcase Springdale Cincinnati
1982 Quest for Fire Cinema East Columbus
1982 Tron Tri-County Cincinnati
1982 Paint Your Wagon Eastland Mall Columbus
1982 Tommy Eastland Mall Columbus
1983 Blue Thunder Showcase Springdale Cincinnati
1983 Around The World In 80 Days Cinema East Columbus
1983 One From The Heart Cinema East Columbus
1983 Oklahoma Cinema East Columbus
1983 Return Of The Jedi LaJolla Village San Diego
1984 Brainstorm Eastland Mall Columbus
1984 Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom Dayton Mall Dayton
1984 Star Trek III: Search for Spock Tri-County Cincinnati
1984 2010 Continent Columbus
1985 Goonies Dayton Mall Dayton
1985 Young Sherlock Holmes Showcase Cinema Toledo
1986 Clan Of The Cave Bear Cinema East Columbus
1986 Top Gun Northland Mall Columbus
1986 Aliens Eastland Mall Columbus
1986 Howard The Duck Northland Mall Columbus
1986 The Mission Continent Columbus
1986 Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home Northland Mall Columbus
1987 The Untouchables Northland Mall Columbus
1989 Batman Northland Mall Columbus
1989 Batman Severidge Mall Cleveland
1989 Lawrence of Arabia Colony Cleveland
1990 Dick Tracy AMC Dublin Columbus
1990 Ten Commandments Colony Cleveland
1992 Beauty & The Beast Guild 50th NYC
1992 Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Coventry Cleveland
1992 Howard's End Fine Arts NYC
1992 Far & Away Continent Columbus
1993 Hoffa Showcase Cincinnati Cincinnati
1993 Gettysburg UA Mall Detroit
1993 Short Cuts Main Detroit
1996 Vertigo Coventry Cleveland
1999 Lawrence of Arabia New Neon Dayton
2003 2001: A Space Odyssey Wexner Center for the Arts Columbus
2004 Playtime Wexner Center for the Arts Columbus

BTW, the overly-compressed track of DREAMGIRLS cries out for a well mixed 70mm track.

[ February 19, 2007, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Mark Lensenmayer ]

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted January 11, 2007 11:09 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BTW, the overly-compressed track of DREAMGIRLS cries out for a well mixed 70mm track.
Hello! Thank you!!! This movie totally would've been so much better in 70mm.

Michael Coate

- posted January 13, 2007 07:11 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ok...i was wrong. "The Black Stallion" wasn't a 70mm movie. Well...i was only 10 at the time.

But "R.O.T.L.A.","Alien" and "E.S.B." WERE 70mm movies in Vegas.

Richard:
If you were ten when you saw "The Black Stallion" then this would mean you were (nine or) ten when you saw "Alien"...

As I suggested in my last post, I think you are confusing 70mm magnetic stereo presentations with those of 35mm optical stereo.

Jim Perry

- posted January 28, 2007 08:05 PM      Profile for Jim Perry   Email Jim Perry         Edit/Delete Post 
'But "R.O.T.L.A.","Alien" and "E.S.B." WERE 70mm movies in Vegas.'

Ummmm Richard, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you really need to check your facts BEFORE making such BOLD STATEMENTS!

For the record, as a native Las Vegan, I can tell you, right here & now, that of these 3 you mentioned, ONLY "The Empire Strikes Back" had a 70mm first-run engagement here (yes, it was at the Parkway).
BUT - as for "Alien" (also first-run at the Parkway) & "Raiders" (first-run at the Fox Charleston), both of these were STRICTLY in 35mm. And NEITHER were advertised in the Vegas newspapers (the RJ & the Sun) as being in 70mm as well - as far as the "Raiders" engagement goes (it played from Friday, June 12 thru Thursday, Dec. 3rd '81), most of the Fox newspaper ads had 'Dolby Stereo' printed in BOLD type.
Also want to add that about 3 weeks prior to the "Raiders" engagement, the Fox ran the Disney double-bill of "The Black Hole" & "Sleeping Beauty" - both in 70mm & advertised as such. That played from Friday, April 24th to mid May (the Fox then played Richard Pryor's "Bustin' Loose", and it was during the final week of this engagement that they ran the sneak preview of "Raiders" IN 35mm Dolby on Friday, June 5th - I went to that sneak preview, too).

David Au

- posted January 05, 2008 11:42 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Captain EO in 70mm at Disneyland numerous times. I still recall the amazing 3D effects and very loud sound. You could feel the explosions and you could hear the spaceship thunder over your head. They ran that movie dozens of times a day for over 10 years at Disneyland. How did they ever keep the film in such good condition?

Also, Star Tours at Disneyland is 70mm. That has been playing for over 20 years. The film is projected onto the screen from a 70mm projector that is below the cockpit barrier.

Chris Utley

- posted January 07, 2008 08:50 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Michael Coate: Are you going to the 70MM "2001" showing at The Dome on 1/30? I'd love to hook up with you. I'll have members of my film club there as well and they'd most def be giddy to hear about your 70MM film experiences.

Michael Coate

- posted January 08, 2008 03:44 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris...

I do plan to attend, and, sure, I'd be interested in meeting up with you before or after the show.

One possible snag is that I've accepted an out-of-state work assignment with a late-January start date, in which case I will miss the screening. I'm told, though, that the project's start date may get pushed back a few weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Contact me offsite if you wish. I don't visit CinemaTour as often as I once did (one reason I'm just now seeing your post).

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.