CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » What 70mm engagements have you seen (and where)? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What 70mm engagements have you seen (and where)?
Bill Gabel

- posted December 04, 2006 07:56 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought that what is now the Festival used to be the Coronet/Odeon. Am I right?
No

The Odeon Theatre was formerly the UA Westwood then the UA Egyptian, before Cineplex took over the house and ran it as the Odeon. Then Mann took control and renamed it the Festival.

The UA Coronet was once the UA Cinema Center 4 then the UA Coronet 3 and it then was renamed the UA Westwood 3.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted December 04, 2006 02:09 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
What happened to the 4th screen at United Artists Westwood Center. Was that the Crest?

Bill Gabel

- posted December 04, 2006 03:19 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
UA turned theatres 3 & 4 into one screen, for a three screen complex. The Crest theatre was a single screen and was operated by Pacific Theatres.

Mark Campbell

- posted December 04, 2006 07:29 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I have never heard of a theatre turning 2 screens into one! Almost a reverse split. I wonder what their reasoning was.

Bill Gabel

- posted December 05, 2006 08:45 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Theatres 3 & 4 were two small auditoriums with an aisle down the center and mono. They remodeled the entire theatre and wanted to give the theatre a better chance of opening three pictures (two big auditoriums and one medium. The old 3 & 4 rooms were crap move-over rooms.

Michael Coate

- posted December 05, 2006 11:52 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate         Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Gabel:
I'm surprised to see none of the "Back To The Future" movies on your list. Did you not care to see any of those? Surely, if you could sit through "Howard The Duck" or "Who's That Girl," you could manage making it through the adventures of Marty McFly. Weren't you working at the Avco at the time of their showings?

For me, seeing the three "Back To The Future" movies remains among my most cherished Westwood moviegoing experiences! Especially memorable was attending the one-time-only triple feature the day before "Part III" opened. [thumbs up]

Bill Gabel

- posted December 06, 2006 10:09 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Michael your right as I look back at them. I never saw them in 70MM for some strange reason. I saw them in 35mm Dolby, I can't come up with a reason why I did not go.

Michael I'm going through some boxes with shots from the Westwood & Hollywood days soon.

Mark Campbell

- posted December 06, 2006 03:55 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Bill. I would love to see shots of the Avco before the split. Was before my time as I moved to LA in '98. I heard great things. Comparable to the National (my favorite Westwood Theatre.)

Paul Bubny

- posted December 06, 2006 06:49 PM      Profile for Paul Bubny   Email Paul Bubny         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's as many as I can remember from a period spanning about 20 years in the New York/New Jersey area:

The Sound of Music (reissue), U.A. Bellevue, Upper Montclair, NJ, 1973
Logan's Run, U.A. Bellevue, 1976
2001: A Space Odyssey (twice), U.A. Bellevue, 1976
Gone with the Wind (reissue), U.A. Bellevue, 1976
Mohammad, Messenger of God, U.A. Bellevue, 1977
Star Wars (twice), RKO Route 4 Triplex, Paramus, NJ, 1977
Star Wars (twice), Cinema 23, Cedar Grove, NJ, 1977 and early 1978
Close Encounters of the Third Kind, RKO Route 4 Triplex, 1978
Crossed Swords, Radio City Music Hall (the movie that was supposedly to close RCMH), New York, NY 1978
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Cinema 23, 1978
Star Wars, Loews Astor Plaza, New York, NY, 1979
Alien, RKO Route 4, 1979
The Exorcist (reissue), Cinema 23, 1979
Alien (twice), Cinema 23, 1979
Apocalypse Now, Ziegfeld Theatre, New York, NY, 1979
1941, U.A. Cinema 46 Triplex, Totowa, NJ, 1979
The Empire Strikes Back (twice), RKO Route 4, 1980
Raise the Titanic, U.A. Bellevue, 1980
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (special edition), RKO Route 4, 1980
The Empire Strikes Back, Eric Twin Lawrenceville, Lawrenceville, NJ, 1980
Altered States, Loews Astor Plaza, 1981
Altered States, U.A. Bellevue, 1981
Outland, U.A. Cinema 46, 1981
Superman II, U.A. Cinema 46, 1981
Raiders of the Lost Ark, RKO Route 4, 1981
The Empire Strikes Back (3 times), Cinema 23, 1981
Raiders of the Lost Ark (twice), Eric Twin Lawrenceville, 1981
Quest for Fire, RKO Route 4 Triplex, 1982
Quest for Fire, Eric Twin Lawrenceville, 1982
Rocky III, U.A. Bellevue, 1982
Gandhi, Loews Wayne Sixplex, 1983
Return of the Jedi (twice), Eric Twin Lawrenceville, 1983
Return of the Jedi, RKO Route 4, 1983
Brainstorm, GCC Menlo Park Twin, Edison, NJ, 1983
The Right Stuff, RKO Route 4, 1983 (last 70mm feature I saw there before the main auditorium was cut into three)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (twice), GCC Essex Green Triplex, West Orange, NJ, 1984
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Loews Wayne Sixplex, 1984
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Loews Wayne Sixplex, 1984
Dune, Loews Wayne Sixplex, 1984
2010, Loews Wayne Sixplex, 1984
Return of the Jedi, RKO Route 4 Eightplex, 1985
Silverado, RKO Route 4 Eightplex, 1985
Aliens, RKO Route 17 Triplex, Paramus, NJ, 1986
The Mission, Loews Plaza 8, Secaucus, NJ, 1987
Stakeout, RKO Route 4 Eightplex, 1987
Empire of the Sun, RKO Route 4 Eightplex, 1987
Lawrence of Arabia (restored), Ziegfeld Theatre, 1989
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, GCC Essex Green Triplex, 1989
Batman, RKO Route 4, 1989
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Loews Plaza 8, 1989
The Abyss, GCC Essex Green Triplex, 1989
Dick Tracy, Loews Wayne Eightplex, 1990
Far and Away, Loews Wayne Eightplex, 1992
Hoffa, Loews Wayne Eightplex, 1992

There may have been others; the year 1988 is suspiciously absent from this list, and I'm not sure if "Hoffa" really was the last one I saw. A few things occurred to me as I compiled this list. One is that I was born too late to see many movies actually filmed in 70mm ("TSOM," "2001," "Lawrence" and "Far and Away" are the only ones on this list as far as I know), another is that the list kind of charts the waxing and waning of 70mm blowups for general release (in the period between 1984 and 1989, there were many other movies released in 70mm that either I didn't see or saw only in 35mm, such as the "Back to the Future" trilogy), and another is that most of the theatres represented here are either gone or have been cut up into such tiny shoeboxes that there's no question of their ever again showing movies in 70mm, should that practice ever be revived (aside from IMAX DMR blowups, that is). Still another is that seeing a movie in 70mm at the RKO (later Cineplex, now AMC Loews) Route 4 was a very different experience after 1983. Prior to that, the screen in the main auditorium was about 65 feet wide (I'm guesstimating); after the theatre was subdivided in 1983/84 (and later added to, for a total of 10 screens), I would be surprised if any of the complex's "big" screens were more than 35 feet.

Michael Coate

- posted December 06, 2006 09:00 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Michael your right as I look back at them. I never saw [the "Back To The Future" movies] in 70MM for some strange reason. I saw them in 35mm Dolby, I can't come up with a reason why I did not go.
Well, you missed out!

The first "BTTF" was the first movie I ever saw at the Avco. What a great first impression! Saw it again in spring '86 at the Century Plaza (in the BIG HPS-4000 room before it was chopped up), and again at the Dome during their 25th anniversary fest, and again during the "BTTF" triple feature in spring '90. (I saw the second and third "BTTF" movies at the Avco twice each.)

quote:
Michael I'm going through some boxes with shots from the Westwood & Hollywood days soon.
Great; let me know what turns up!

quote:
Mohammad, Messenger of God, U.A. Bellevue, 1977

Paul...really? All of the newspaper ads I've seen for this title indicated a 4-track stereo presentation, implying 35mm. I never saw it, so I'd be curious to hear why you believe this was shown in 70mm.

Paul...For you and any others who reside/resided in the greater NYC area... If you're not already familiar with this work by Bill Kallay and myself, I encourage you to check out the following. Warning: this project may cause an overdose of 70mm nostalgia. [Cool]

http://www.fromscripttodvd.com/70mm_in_new_york_main_page.htm

And here's the companion piece for Southern Californians:
http://www.fromscripttodvd.com/70mm_in_los_angeles_main_page.htm

Paul Bubny

- posted December 07, 2006 01:57 PM      Profile for Paul Bubny   Email Paul Bubny         Edit/Delete Post 
It's entirely possible that "Mohammad" was 35mm only, but for some reason I recalled it as a 70mm premiere engagement (the clash of swords and Maurice Jarre's music rang out especially vividly during one of the battle scenes, suggesting 6-track stereo). I believe it opened in the New York area at the Ziegfeld, either the Syosset or Cinema 150 on Long Island, and the Bellevue in NJ. But be that as it may, I note that it's not listed in the "From Script to DVD" New York 70mm page.

I thought of a few more I'd seen as 70mm blowups: "Tron" in 1982 and "Starman" in 1984 (both at Cinema 23), "The Last Starfighter" in 1984 and "The Black Cauldron" in 1985 (both at Cinema 46), "Cocoon" in 1985 (at GCC Essex Green), and "Willow" in 1988 (at the Loews Plaza 8).

Since 1992, the only 70mm movie I've seen--blowup or otherwise--has been "Happy Feet," which I saw just last week in New York at the AMC Loews Lincoln Square Imax. Long drought.

Mark Campbell

- posted December 07, 2006 06:17 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed one in Seattle:

Vertigo (restored 70mm DTS) Cineplex Odeon Cinerama, Seattle WA

My meager 70mm list for my post-1998 Los Angeles years:

Baraka - American Cinematheque at the Egyptian, Hollywood CA
Lawrence of Arabia - Pacific's Cinerama Dome (pre-remodel)
Lawrence of Arabia - Arclight Cinerama Dome (post-remodel)

Just for kicks my 3-strip Cinerama viewings:
This is Cinerama - Arclight Cinerama Dome (post-remodel)
How the West Was Won - Arclight Cinerama Dome (post-remodel)
(got to go to the booth after that one. Did not have a camera)

Dan Roben

- posted December 07, 2006 10:28 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to the other great lists presented here, I've been able to remember more 70MM showings that I've seen:

ET: UA Cinema 150
Silverado (revival): GCC King, AMC Cinerama (both Seattle)
The Black Cauldron: SRO Cinerama
Vertigo: Cineplex Odeon Cinerama
Far and Away: Cineplex Odeon Grand Cinemas Alderwood (Lynnwood WA)
Empire of the Sun: John Danz (Bellevue, WA)
Alien: UA Cinema 150
Aliens: UA Cinema 150
Porgy and Bess (Seattle Film Festival): AMC Cinerama
Brainstorm: Grand Cinemas Alderwood
Outland: SRO Cinerama
Altered States: SRO Cinerama
Logan's Run: SRO Cinerama

I know there's more . . . much more!

Michael Coate

- posted December 07, 2006 10:59 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's entirely possible that "Mohammad" was 35mm only, but for some reason I recalled it as a 70mm premiere engagement (the clash of swords and Maurice Jarre's music rang out especially vividly during one of the battle scenes, suggesting 6-track stereo).
It can be difficult to distinguish a 4-track magnetic presentation from that of a 6-track presentation. (1) Both are full bandwidth and with discrete channels. (2) Most 6-track mixes were "up-mixes" from 4-track masters. (3) Many of these scope/4-track presentations were booked in 70mm/6-track-equipped venues enabling their presentation to be on the same (or nearly the same) size and shaped screen and with similar sound quality. As such, it is easy to see how someone can think they're watching 70mm.

I'm reminded of a conversation with a historian I had a couple of years ago who explained that he included some titles in his book's list of 70mm releases because "they sounded too good to have been optical Dolby" and therefore had to have been 70mm. This type of thinking is irrational and too much of the time results in incorrect recollections, and if one is a historian publishing their work it is downright irresponsible!

quote:
I believe it opened in the New York area at the Ziegfeld, either the Syosset or Cinema 150 on Long Island, and the Bellevue in NJ.
My notes indicate the Manhattan booking was at the Rivoli (and with reserved seats).

quote:
I note that it's not listed in the "From Script to DVD" New York 70mm page.
That's because Bill and I cannot justify at this time including it since we cannot find what we believe to be a conclusive reference. As such, "Mohammad" is listed on our "Maybe it was in 70mm" page, which is where it'll stay until some better details come along.

http://www.fromscripttodvd.com/70mm_in_new_york_mystery_titles.htm

Paul Bubny

- posted December 08, 2006 05:40 AM      Profile for Paul Bubny   Email Paul Bubny         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, thinking back it's easy to see (or, in this case, hear) how I might have gotten 4-track mag (as opposed to 4-track optical Dolby, which never sounded as vivid at the Bellevue) mixed up with 6-track. And I had forgotten about the Rivoli as a premiere house; with the Ziegfeld now being the only game in town in NYC, it's sadly easy to forget that there were once many others, especially if one was a little too young to have been to them. ("Lawrence of Arabia" wowed me when I saw it at the Ziegfeld in '89, but ah, to have seen it at one of the real movie palaces when it first opened...)

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.