HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » THX

Author Topic: THX
David Au

- posted November 08, 2006 10:48 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like a lot of theaters these days don't have THX anymore. A lot of Century Theatres claim THX in their ads, but I searched the THX website and a lot of those theaters don't show up anymore. For example, Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek, Milpitas. The Walnut Creek theater still plays the THX trailers but it disappeared off the THX website weeks ago. Maybe the website is not updated.

I like watching the THX trailers. I don't like the cow one but the new one where the robot gets sucked into the car is funny. AMC Van Ness is a weird theater. Sometimes the newspaper says THX, but I haven't seen a THX trailer in all the times that I've been there. Has anyone seen what trailer they play there?

Is THX dead now? It seems like very few theaters even pay for THX anymore.

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Crouch

- posted November 09, 2006 02:23 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say it's dead, but definitely becoming a rarity. In the more cost concious industry of today, THX certification seems to be viewed as an unnecissary frill. That's not to say everyone has forsaken presentation. Many theatres, without actual certification, meet THX standards and/or were designed within the same guidlines; they just don't spend the money to obtain/retain official certification.

From a practical, bottom-line standpoint, it's understandable, as the cost to benefit ratio is questionable. While movie geeks, like us, notice THX, the average theatre goer doesn't (nor is it likely they even know what that THX moniker means). I once worked at a theatre that cast off long standing THX certification and I can't say it had any impact on attendance (don't even recall a single complaint or inquiry about the matter).

Perhaps, the future of THX is with specialty, luxury theatres. Those that market their venues on having all the frills and extras. However, I think the days of seeing THX in big chain, general market cinemas are passing.

Bill Gabel

- posted November 09, 2006 08:04 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Here in NYC there is only one screening room that is THX certified. There was a few Loews houses that where listed at one time and two screens at the UA Union Square plex. Today the THX site lists only one screening room and a former GCC now AMC plex. But I wouldn't go by what Movie Tickets online site states as the location is equipped. They state the AMC Santa Monica 7 as being equipped, but it's not on the THX site. That theatre is a older AMC design. One problem is the THX site and the Dolby site has not updated info on sites and equipment. Equipment moves around so often from theatre or screen. And what you read in the newspaper in the chain directory ad or the main movie ad can change from day to day and auditorium to auditorium. About ten years or so ago you once could read in the chain directory ad what sound format the theatre was playing the film in (SRD/SDDS/DTS/SR sound). That soon changed to the Digital Sound so it could be one of the above formats. That was the booking departments and the marketing departments could not keep track of what each theatre location or auditorium was equipped with. I once was working a theatre that a patron made a comment to a manager that our THX was not working and I should go check it. Well if the THX wasn't working there would have been no sound at all. Sometimes it comes from movie geeks than run their home theatre sound systems wrong and have too much surround info coming out of their speakers.

It's a cost factor now for theatres. THX has lost ground be putting the logo on almost everything. It does not mean what it once meant.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.