CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » 2:1 Cropping - Why do they still do it?

Author Topic: 2:1 Cropping - Why do they still do it?
Todd Erwin

- posted July 08, 2006 08:57 AM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Any idea why the major chains refuse to fix their theatres so that they do not crop, other than the excuse that it is too expensive (which I believe is a load of bull)?

In this day and age of DVD, big screen plasmas, and home theatre surround sound, you would think the chains would try to make their theatres more enjoyable.

I refuse to pay $7 and up to see a movie that is cropped, regardless of what aspect ratio it was shot in.

If it was shot 1.85:1, then it is cropped top and bottom.

-

If it was shot 2.4:1, then it is cropped left and right.

-

My wife and I drive past the Edwards Triangle Square in Costa Mesa almost everytime we go out to see a movie.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted July 09, 2006 11:06 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal really does need to put Triangle Square out of it's misery and build something newer and better in its place. Since half of that mall is vacant anyway, why don't they just do a complete remodel?

Bill Gabel

- posted July 10, 2006 01:46 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Edwards in it's day were famous for putting that in many of their theatres and never going back to fit them.

Mark Campbell

- posted July 10, 2006 03:05 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Luxury Theatres (long since bought out from Act III, then Regal) used to do this in the Seattle/Tacoma area. I think Act III corrected this at the Puyallup Cinemas when they took over and remodeled. Photos of post remodel :
http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=2554
(they did a great job considering what they started with)

I haven't been there in years but I think the AMC Narrows Plaza 8 theatres in Tacoma had fixed ratio. I always thought that the scope films there were "not wide enough" and often would wait to see the reel marker to know if the film was scope or not. The local (and long-gone) SRO Tacoma West Cineamasacross the screen had proper masking that would often change from flat to scope after the 1st couple previews.

Christopher Crouch

- posted July 10, 2006 05:47 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
The primary reason you see the "one size fits all" approach is to simply save money and effort. Occassionally, it's the result of a particular theatre's dimensions and/or the equipment available. This is also why you see different styles of masking; scissor, top/bottom, manual/motorized, etc. Many owners are only willing to invest the extra money and effort in to their "big" auditoriums. While cutting corners in this fashion may seem at odds with customer service, you have to remember they are working within a budget and it's an area the average theatre goer probably won't notice; you, as a cinema buff, notice and are annoyed by the cropping, but the average Joe/Jane in the theatre likely doesn't notice or care. Having said that, I fully agree that it takes away from the experience.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.