HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Responsible Movie-Going

Author Topic: Responsible Movie-Going
Todd Erwin

- posted July 08, 2006 09:20 AM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
A Responsible Movie-Goer:

1. Complete a customer feedback form everytime you go to the movies, preferably using the theatre circuit's online form. If it is a post card, mail it rather than leave it at the box office or in a comment card box at the theatre. This will make sure it goes to a district or corporate office. You should complete the form, even if you had a very pleasurable experience. Working in customer service myself, people rarely compliment, but will often complain.

2. Turn off your cell phone, or at the very least, set it to vibrate. And, please, if you must talk, please keep it down to a low whisper.

3. Have most of the theatres' phone numbers programmed on your cell phone in case something goes wrong during the presentation. With the large megaplexes these days, it can take a good 10 minutes or more just to get to the customer service desk and find someone who may actually know what you are talking about. For Regal, most of the theatre phone numbers listed on Fandango actually go to a live person, not a recording. It is OK to use your cell phone in these circumstances, especially if it is an extremely obvious problem (like no picture, out of focus, no sound, etc). Most people around you, once they realize what you are doing, will be very appreciative.

4. If a theatre consistently does a poor job, stop visiting. If you must visit, only attend bargain shows and don't purchase anything at the concession counter. The dollar can be a powerful tool.

5. If a theatre consistently does a great job, let the manager know in person, and make a purchase at the concession stand. I know it can be expensive, but that is where theatre owners make their money. Of that $10 ticket you paid to see "Superman Returns" on opening weekend, at least $9 of it went to Warner Bros.

If anyone else has other thoughts on being a responsible movie-goer, I am all ears.

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Fuentz

- posted July 09, 2006 03:41 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
I would add this for Drive-In patrons...

1) Don't bring outside food or drink to the theater, for the same reason mentioned above.

2) Put your trash in the trash can, not on the ground!

(I really need to update my member pic, too...)

Ron Newman

- posted July 12, 2006 05:42 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
At any locally-owned theatre, I try to buy concessions (even though overpriced), but I happily bring my own food and drink to AMC and Loews theatres.

Eric Hooper

- posted August 08, 2006 02:45 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At any locally-owned theatre, I try to buy concessions (even though overpriced), but I happily bring my own food and drink to AMC and Loews theatres.

[Rolling on Floor Laughing] Good for you! [thumbs up]

TJ Edwards

- posted August 08, 2006 07:41 PM      Profile for TJ Edwards   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 

[ May 04, 2007, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: TJ Edwards ]

Christopher Crouch

- posted August 15, 2006 12:15 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2) Put your trash in the trash can, not on the ground!
I can't stress that one enough. Accidental popcorn spills and similar unintentional messes are perfectly acceptable/expected. However, the common practice of finishing one's food and randomly dropping it on the floor is uncalled for. Far worse are those who feel the need to make the biggest mess possible; I've regularly witnessed people kicking and throwing garbage around the auditorium. And, don't get me started on people who consume items like sunflower seeds and spit the shells all over the floor.

Ron Newman

- posted August 19, 2006 08:53 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
From the CinemaSightlines page:
quote:
Once a picture hits the screen, whether it’s a trailer or the opening credits, it’s time to be quiet!
I disagree with this. Audiences are expected to react to trailers.

TJ Edwards

- posted August 23, 2006 04:57 PM      Profile for TJ Edwards   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
My first late afternoon in Hollywood was spent seeing Beauty and the Beast at the glorious El Capitan. There were lots of kids there and some chatter throughout. it's to be expected at a family film, and didn't particularly disturb the great experience of seeing that movie for the first time in that theatre. A couple nights later I went back for a late show. where the audience was primarily adult, and it was a thrilling experience - entirely different from the first time. it was a sheer joy to experience the movie with an audience who got all the jokes and appreciated the film on an adult level. One of my most unforgettable nights at the movies.

So, as the cinema etiquette article states, shared audience response can be exhilerating. Reacting to a movie or trailer within reason is one thing, However, talking and making noise incessantly and loudly is not. it's been my experience (only yesterday) that the people who make noise throught the trailers are very likely to continue through the movie.

[ May 05, 2007, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: TJ Edwards ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.