CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Strangest Double Feature (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Strangest Double Feature
Mark Campbell

- posted June 16, 2006 10:58 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
The Vine in Hollywood is showing Ice Age: The Meltdown and V for Vendetta this week. What is the strangest pairing you have ever seen?

|  IP: Logged

Michael Mohan

- posted June 16, 2006 12:40 PM      Profile for Michael Mohan   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Mohan         Edit/Delete Post 
The strangest double feature I've ever seen was The Apple with You Can't Stop the Music.

The Apple is one of my favorite films, made in 1980 but set in the future: 1994. Apparently in the future the world is overtaken by evil disco. I highly highly recommend it for all fans of bad-but-awesome cinema (The Aero is showing it on July 20th).

You Can't Stop the Music is pure torture. It's the Village People movie starring Steve Guttenberg. The large group of people I went with couldn't take it-- they ran from the theatre. During the final musical number (aptly titled "You Can't Stop the Music") they probably sing the chorus (which goes "You Can't Stop the Music, oh no You Can't Stop the Music"), no less than 50 times. I think it's out on DVD. Do not rent it!

That theatre, the Vine-- I'm always curious about. Never been-it seems really dark and dingy. Anyone been there?

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted June 16, 2006 02:06 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the 1986 remake of "The Fly" with "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" at the Mt. Vernon Drive In(R.I.P.) in San Bernardino,California.

That was odd.

So was seeing a half hour of Warner Brothers cartoons on the same bill as "Troy" at another drive in.

Christopher Crouch

- posted June 17, 2006 01:20 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You Can't Stop the Music is pure torture.
As if The Village People and Guttenberg weren't enough, you also had ex-Olympian Bruce Jenner in a lead role and screen legend June Havok making an appearence. All in an Allen Car disco musical. I believe it was also directed by Nancy Walker("Rosie" on the 70's Bounty paper towel adds and well known 60's/70's character actress). Talk about a bizarre film.

Ron Keillor

- posted June 17, 2006 12:53 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor         Edit/Delete Post 
re CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC
The promotional screening here in Vancouver had elements as bizarre as the film. Fox insisted on a spotlight outside the theatre - in mid-June when the sun goes down around 10PM (show got out around 9PM). Comment from patrons leaving early: "I just want to be sick."

Oddest double bill would be FELLINI'S ROMA and 200 MOTELS in Prince George's subrun house in the "hotel district" that did unusually good business from a large numbers of 'growers' coming in from the woods to see it.

Bill Gabel

- posted June 19, 2006 12:52 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
How about the double bill of "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Odd Couple". That was the double bill Paramount Studios did.

Mann Theatres had a long double bill of "Patton" and "The Longest Day".

Yes, the Vine theatre has not changed much in all these years. It still smells like the last days of when Pacific Theatres ran it. I spent alot of time during the Pacific days at that theatre.

[ June 19, 2006, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

Mark Campbell

- posted June 19, 2006 03:24 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was teen in Tacoma Washington I recall the Village Cinemas on South Tacoma Way having a double feature of Robocop and Masters of the Universe in 1987.

Dan Roben

- posted June 19, 2006 10:32 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Before double features were phased out in the early 1980s, SRO Theaters had some truly bizzare double features. I recall the Crest running Which Way to the Front (a pathetic Jerry Lewis comedy) and The Gospel Road, a Johnny Cash pseudo-religious film. The Lynn Twin featured a unique pairing of Blazing Saddles and The Vikings (watch carefully for the oil tanker seen in the far distance in this supposed epic about Leif Erickson discovering America).

But my favorite strange double bill must be the 1977 or 78 booking at the deluxe downtown Music Box Theater of Jabberwalk (not to be confused with Jabberwocky, the Michael Palin film) an Italian 'documentary' about "what America is into today!" and the low-rent, soft-core Flesh Gordon.

Why does Jabberwalk hold a special place in my heart? Where else could you learn about rent-a-dungeons for your most depraved fantasies, drive-up funeral parlors, bordellos for senior citizens . . . the list goes on. Truly, an awful film.

I'd give my eye-tooth to see this lost film again. But I'll always have the memories.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted June 20, 2006 12:55 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another...Try this one:
The low budget 1982 jigglefest "Waitress!" with "On Golden Pond" at the SRO triplex in Montclair,California.(RIP)

Hand to Heaven,ya'll. [LOL]

Steve Swanson

- posted June 21, 2006 12:35 PM      Profile for Steve Swanson   Email Steve Swanson         Edit/Delete Post 
The Rodeo played The Omen & DaVinci Code last week. The 99W did Chicken Run and Gladiator in 2000 with most cars coming in late
just for Gladiator. I haven't seen too many oddball titles in the last 6 years. Although I was at the Twilight in B.C. last Saturday for a Universal combo: United 93/Fast & Furious/American Dreamz.
BTW: the Vineland has had some recent changes. The original screen and marquee were replaced. They have installed Technalight on all 4 projectors now. I wish they were in a better location but at least they're still open. Only 4 drive-ins left in the LA area.

Eric Hooper

- posted January 05, 2007 10:01 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
Texas Chainsaw Massacare and Bambi. [Rolling on Floor Laughing]

Mark Campbell

- posted January 06, 2007 06:47 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you really see that double feature Eric, or did you make it up?

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted January 07, 2007 09:11 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I just remembered another one!

"Annie" and "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas"-1982 at the GCC Montclair Plaza 8,Montclair California

Jim Perry

- posted January 28, 2007 08:25 PM      Profile for Jim Perry   Email Jim Perry         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be a film projectionist - on & off for about 18 years. My first official job as such was running 16mm prints in the Moyer Student Union Ballroom at UNLV here in Vegas.
Ya think "The Texas Chainsaw Massacare" and "Bambi" is a bizarre double-bill?? Here's a couple I ended up running - "The Godfather" with "Bugsy Malone", and "A Clockwork Orange" with "Snoopy Come Home"!!!!!

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted January 29, 2007 07:50 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Vegas is in 'da house,baby! [Smile]

Ok,somehow those programs seem awfully twisted around. Then again,maybe they weren't intended as double bills. One during the day,the other at night.

Makes better sense.

I mean...hello..."The Godfather" and "Bugsy Malone"?(love that movie,BTW. Stupid Paramount...pulling it from their DVD release schedule...damn them! ok,angry OT rant over)

P.S."Annie" & "BLWHIT" were separate admission shows but,since it was the last matinee showing of the first movie,we stayed for the first evening showing of the second.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.