HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Bubbles

Author Topic: Bubbles
Steven Rood

- posted January 28, 2006 11:41 PM      Profile for Steven Rood   Email Steven Rood         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Soderbergh's new film is the start? of the end of the cinema as we know it, or so the media is hyping.

His new film is being released almost simultaneously with the DVD and Cable/Satellite release on HDnet this week and next.

IMO, although this type of release, if it becomes commonplace, won't be the end of cinema, but will change the playing field and how people decide to see films. There are certainly some films that everyone will want to see on the big screen or demand to be seen that way, while the chaff, will fall by the wayside and be just fine viewing on DVD or HD (ie. Dude, where's my Car?) [Smile]

I just don't see the cinema disappearing. I do see the older smaller theaters possibly closing or the chains consolidating.

Even the smaller art house films will have to fight to make it to the big screen.

That's just my gut feeling. Either the above, or the prices, etc. have to drastically change to keep them competitve.

stevo

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted January 29, 2006 12:18 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think theatre owners need worry quite yet. Check out Bubble's opening weekend ($72,000) and per screen average ($2,250).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=bubble.htm

This is not quite the movie to judge by. The per screen is small even by limited release standards. It would be interesting to see how many people will catch it on HDTV and DVD. (Not to knock the film).

I think theatre owners should worry if the next Batman or Spiderman films are released in other formats similtaneously.

For the time being, though, the collective, shared experience of going to the movies as well as just having an evening out is something that will always be needed. It would be pretty lame to tell a date "I've downloaded that new film you want to see. I'll call Home Grocer and have them deliver some microwave popcorn and soda".

Steven Rood

- posted January 30, 2006 07:41 AM      Profile for Steven Rood   Email Steven Rood         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, i agree that this isn't necessarilly the best film to evaluate the future of the industry but you can see where its headed.

I also agree that the movie going experience is something that will never go away completely, but you can certainly see how the trend is changing. Although certain movies may still be hitting some record numbers occasionally, its in part a function of the ever higher prices than the number of people in attendance.

Btw, Dude, where's my car actually made back its budget in the opening weekend, and ultimately made money.
Dude, Where's my Car?

Stevo

John J. Fink

- posted January 31, 2006 10:32 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched it on DVD, it's actually a really good movie. I would have prefered to see it in theaters, personally. It's an okay idea for an indie film, but I think it insures that it'll only play in major cities (there is not really an incentive for a platform release if a movie is already out on video in all markets). Bubble actually is slated to expand (as per the website), it's not a movie that demands the big screen experience, but it's diffinatly higher quality than a direct to video movie.

I do think it proves theaters have to step their game up providing a better movie going experience, $9.00+ is far too expensive for a non-stadium seating theater with rude patrons, incompitiant projection staff, and a floor staff that looks like they'd rather be elsewhere. Mark Cuban has a valid point, the experience in some markets is the problem. I think the Regals and the AMCs of the world will be abandoned for chains like National Amusements and Landmark where they care about the quality of the experience.

George Gates

- posted January 31, 2006 01:03 PM      Profile for George Gates           Edit/Delete Post 
The only difference between National Amusements and AMC is the fact that they (Showcase) own their buildings and don't pay a lease to a mall. Thus, the profit margin benefits. As for Landmark, they're just as concerned with the cash as the others. The perception that they're any better probably stems from the film product they play. After all, don't most people think of art houses and those associated with them as special and elite?

Tom Mundell

- posted January 31, 2006 01:32 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
$9.00+ is far too expensive for a non-stadium seating theater with rude patrons, incompitiant projection staff, and a floor staff that looks like they'd rather be elsewhere.
I wouldn't say non-stadium seating theatres are a negative; personally I prefer sloped floors over stadium seating (the majority of my favourite theatres don't have stadium seating).

Landmark's big plus is the lack of advertising; no slides, movie tunes, etc... In MA I find their Waltham location always does a great job presentation wise; in Cambridge though not so much, it's a nice theatre but I've had a lot of presentation issues on my visits there.

I've seen varying quality at National Amusement locations, though on the whole I think they're much more consistent than many chains (like Loews and Regal).

If day and date DVD releases began happenning with mainstream movies, I think we'd see a lot of the crummy theatres closing; those that people feel provide a decent experience will probably survive. If the DVD takes away even a small percentage of patrons, it seems that would be enough to cause trouble for some number of theatres.

Mark Brunson

- posted January 31, 2006 08:26 PM      Profile for Mark Brunson   Email Mark Brunson         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw Bubble at a Landmark theatre (Tivoli). It was a decent movie. Compared to other movies I've seen there on a Mon.-Thurs. night, it didn't look like there were substantially less people there because it was also released on DVD. I don't regret paying $8 to see it at the Tivoli rather than renting it at Lackluster Video for free.

Also, in the past month or two, Landmark theatres around here started showing a short ad or two. Lately, it was exploremilanworld.com (viral marketing for Mercury, as far as I can tell) and something else. Tonight there was a short ad for the Smartest Guys in the Room DVD (which played there). So, maybe they are going to start cutting down on the ads or at least the ones not pertinent to movies played at this theatre.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.