CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Any old GCC shadow box screens left? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Any old GCC shadow box screens left?
Mark Campbell

- posted January 10, 2006 06:32 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone if there are any old ex-GCC theatres with shadow box screens left, either operating or shuttered? (with grey corrugated metal walls a plus!) I know there are other names for this type of screen.

|  IP: Logged

John J. Fink

- posted January 10, 2006 09:10 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Acording to the photos for Cinema 12 (Carpentersville, IL) they still have one, they also have a small balcony above the projection booth which I also heard was common in large GCC theaters too.

I've also heard of them called "picture window" screens.

I wasn't there for the heyday of GCC, but I do remember well that the old Essex Green I-III (West Orange, NJ) had a picture window screen in it's largest, first THX aproved theater in NJ. It's been gone for years now when GCC opened up a new multiplex with stadium seating, not many design eliments were retained.

Mark Campbell

- posted January 11, 2006 09:06 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
John, was Cinema 12 (Carpentersville, IL) a smaller GCC theatre that eventually added more screens? Also, it seems strange that a picture window screen would be THX certified. THX certification involves all aspects of presentation and it would seem that the lack of proper masking for flat 1:85 films would fail that.

John J. Fink

- posted January 11, 2006 10:43 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually don't know anything about Cinema 12 beyond the photos here, I doubt Cinema Classics would spring for the extra 6,000 a year for the THX name.

Essex Green which had a huge main screen was THX certified and I remember the picture window screen, I really do, although I didn't know THX certification required proper masking, supose there is a way around it and it can be masked, some how.

Mark Campbell

- posted January 11, 2006 11:07 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I am not positive about screen masking being a THX consideration, but it would seem it should be since they have standards for sightlines, and other non-audio aspects of presentaion. If anyone out there knows for sure...

Tom Mundell

- posted January 11, 2006 11:25 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I doubt Cinema Classics would spring for the extra 6,000 a year for the THX name.
judging from the surround speaker layout those are (or were) HPS-4000 sound systems in the auditoriums shown.

Did the GCC shadowbox screens always lack masking for flat, or are there any variations they used over the years?

Mark Campbell

- posted January 11, 2006 11:49 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
The only 2 shadowbox screens I have seen in person were at the GCC Villa Plaza I-II-III in Tacoma, WA (long gone) and GCC Renton Village I-II-III in Renton, WA (demolished and replaced in '88 or '89 with GCC 8-Plex, currently still open under AMC). Those had shadowboxes that were lit up blue between shows The non-screen walls of the box must have been white or pale blue. Never seen the walls painted black like at the Cinema 12 listed above. My guess is that that was done after a remodel along with painting the metal walls red.

Mark Campbell

- posted January 11, 2006 05:42 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
What was GCC's rationale behind the picture window/shadow box screens anyway, besides the fact that they looked cool and futuristic between shows? And does anyone know when GCC started and stopped using this style of screen?

Dave Felthous

- posted January 11, 2006 09:52 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, THX certification involved sound only -- proper insulation on walls and behind the screen, no loud AC or heat units, etc. Some DVDs, and, to a lesser extent, laserdiscs tout THX that includes picture quality. But I don't think theatrical THX goes beyond sound quality. I had heard that certification costs $10,000 per screen per year. Which is why my company quit certifying. The average Joe doesn't know the difference anyway.

George Gates

- posted January 12, 2006 08:51 AM      Profile for George Gates           Edit/Delete Post 
 - Here's a previously posted photo of a white shadowbox with the blue from overhead banks of floodlights. From 1963 until about the late 70's.

Theatrical THX testing involves running a loop for picture quality too.

Mark Campbell

- posted January 12, 2006 09:00 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
George, where did you find such a fine Picture Box Picture? Looked at many of the states and on this website and have not seen such a great photo. If anyone knows where the "GCC" rich states and photos are....

Brad Miller

- posted January 12, 2006 11:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller         Edit/Delete Post 
www.film-tech.com / PICTURES / GCC NORTHPARK 1 & 2

Mark Campbell

- posted January 12, 2006 03:16 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, It's hard to tell but is the glow around the sceen in the Northpark 1 & 2 pictures a shadow box screen or just the masking picking up glow from a slide?

Truly this theatre looks like a big loss. Probably killed by some boring steep-sloped stadium cinema.

George Gates

- posted January 13, 2006 11:40 AM      Profile for George Gates           Edit/Delete Post 
At the Northpark, that's a glow on the masking, which is dark blue felt. It's a photo taken after the new design. You can also see they also re-seated during their renovation, with the new design grey plastic seats. The theatre originally had white metal Griggs seats.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted January 18, 2006 07:41 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinema 12 in Carpentersville was an original GCC Twin design that was added and added and chopped a few times until it reached 12 screens.

The picture of the large auditorium there is the original small house. The original large house is now 4 screens.

I remember drooling all over myself when Classic Cinemas allowed us in to take pictures.

*goes and looks now*

There are also threads all over here about GCC's locations -- pictures on the other hand are a bit scarce. Cinematour junkies didn't get into full swing until around the time GCC was going bankrupt.

Another place to look would be National Amusements. I don't know if they did shadow-box screens or not, but the companies share the same architects and some of their earlier buildings look identical to the GCC builds.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.