CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinema Yak   » Saddest/most depressing theatre experience (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Saddest/most depressing theatre experience
Jason Whyte

- posted July 14, 2006 11:11 AM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte         Edit/Delete Post 
The "traditional" Famous Players (now Cineplex entertainment) theatres mostly went by the wayside once the newer Silvercities opened, which is sad because there were a few in Vancouver that were really good. Remember how awful it was to see a movie in the once grand Capitol 6 with the broken seats, torn screens and awful projection before it closed last year?

The FP Station Square 7 in Burnaby is probably also feeling a bit neglected since the Silvercity Metropolis opened back in 1999.

I have never been to the place, but I guess the Eagle Ridge is still turning enough of a profit to remain open. I would love to see lobby/auditorium/booth pictures sometime to see what you're talking about.

Jason

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Peter Chobaniuk

- posted July 19, 2006 01:17 AM      Profile for Andrew Peter Chobaniuk   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Peter Chobaniuk         Edit/Delete Post 
from the grapevine ive heard eagle ridge has a year of life left, maybe less. dont know if i'll get out to coquitlam to take pics tho. i'll get some pics of my theatre (esp. 6) soon

Chris Utley

- posted September 17, 2009 12:17 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first moved to LA almost 25 years ago, my mother had a weird, insecure paranoia of me venturing out anywhere past South Central LA. In retrospect, she was a toned down version of the mom in the flick "Almost Famous" As a result, the gist of the movies I saw between 1985 and 1991 were at the Vermont Drive-In in Gardena(demolished), the South Bay 6 Drive-In in Carson, and here:

The University Village 3 across the street from USC.

Talk about depressing! 3 screens. Mono sound. Fixed length aspect ratio. Non-stop talking throughout the movie. Broken seats. The constant smell of marijuana (especially during horror movies). The movies I saw here included (ahem!) "Batman", "Ghostbusters 1 & 2", Lethal Weapon 2, Die Hard 2, Total Recall, Rain Man, The Living Daylights, Aliens and a laundry list of movies that I had ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS SEEING IN A DUMP LIKE THIS! While the rest of you "OG's" were getting your 70MM 6 Track Dolby Stereo on during the 80's, I was stuck here out of ignorance of the Los Angeles transit system alongside the fear of missing curfew and getting grounded.

In the irony of all ironies, the same bus I used to catch to go to this theatre is THE SAME BUS that would have taken me to (the then often fantasized yet ever elusive) Hollywood Blvd. To this day, I regret not standing up to my mother and defiantly taking that longer route on that bus. [Mad] [moon]

Van Dalton

- posted December 28, 2009 04:49 PM      Profile for Van Dalton           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Finding out a year after Act III was bought out by Regal, that Regal were closing the Cascade Park 4 theatre in Vancouver, WA. I practically grew up in that theatre, when it was still in its Tom Moyer era in the early 1980s!

2. Being at the Cascade Park 4 theatre in Vancouver, WA on closing night in 1999. The film I saw that night in October was the final screneing of "The Phantom Menace", only adding to the misery.

3. Seeing the other two Star Wars prequels (albeit elsewhere.) I think this goes without saying. ;o)

4. Finding out this summer that the nearby Cascade Stadium 16 (yet another venue in the Regal monopoly here) is now charging $10.50 for a regular adult admission. What a crock!

5. Finding out that the Liberty Theatre in Camas, WA (actually within reasonable bike-riding distance of my apartment) decided to close abruptly this past June.

6. Seeing "A Christmas Story" at the Kiggins (downtown Vancouver, WA) in 2002. I am fairly sure it was an original 20-year old print given the very noticeable splice points between reels, the fading on one of the reels (must have been left sitting out of the can for too long) and the sound was so distorted the only speech you could make out was the narration.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.